Steaming instead of Baking?

Reaction score
My very favorite musical artist of all time ever has started a food blog, and put up this elaborate recipe that she swears takes under 10 minutes to make, and it looks delicious: Japanese Green Tea Steamed Buns (gluten-free)

It's made out of the mochi flour (rice flour) and steamed.

It inspired me to try a banana bread flavored version. Wish me luck!

Reaction score
That's a very novel idea! I sometimes steam things tho, like for example when I prepare certain Mexican things as well as Indonesian pastries that require steam instead of baking. Not for everyone I think, but if done right the results are excellent.

Reaction score
Oh, what a cool idea! I'd love to try that sometime...especially if it takes less than 10 minutes ;). I'm a big fan of quick recipes. And I imagine you could impart all kinds of awesome flavours with steaming. Let us know how it goes!

Reaction score
Her website is really cute. I've heard of steaming pork buns but not cakes. This recipe looks too intimidating to try, but the site is adorable.

Reaction score
Steamed cake is very good, nice and fluffy like a pillow. Near my work there is an Asian bakery and they make some really good steamed cakes. I have just never tried doing it at home before.

Ask a Question