Troubleshooting Dense Bread: Tips for New Bakers

Reaction score
Hi new to bread baking
Just too heavy even though I knead and knock back and stretch the bejEsus out of it. I keep comparing the previous bakes and it's getting better with not so condensed,but is getting frustrating.
Any advice

Reaction score
The is such a thing as over-kneading, and I've been guilty of it in the past. It's difficult to come back from too - once the gluten becomes too strong it stops the bread from rising properly, and you get a dense loaf.

The reason that we knead dough is to encourage the gluten - which is protein - to develop a nice network that will support the structure of the bread. However gluten will develop by itself over time, kneading just speeds up the process.

You may have read that the longer a dough takes to develop, the better the flavour - well you could use that to your advantage here. Some of my favourite breads are ones that require little to no kneading, and are allowed to prove very slowly in the fridge (overnight). The flavour is awesome, and your arms don't get tired - win win ;)

Reaction score
Ah cool thank you.
I got the recipe from the BBC and it states "give the full ten minutes" so I did. Will try the fridge overnight method.

Reaction score
Hope it works well for you! It's frustrating when recipes give absolutes like that - how people knead dough varies from person to person, so I think it's far better when they say something like 'knead until the dough is smooth and stretchy'. Let us know how you get on :)

Reaction score
Hi Becky
Well I have just made the dough and it is an overnight fridge vigil. How long would you recommend I knock it back, up for work slap the old dough about,shape it set for a further hour and hope my dear wife bungs it in the oven. I just want a light loaf
Thank you
DD

Reaction score
Sorry, only just seen this! Not sure what you're asking... how long for the overnight prove? Or are you asking about the second prove?

Ask a Question