To triple or not triple Baking Powder and Baking Soda...

Reaction score
I found a great Smore‘s recipe but it’s really small and I wanted to bake it for game day so I was going to triple it. But when I went to write out the figures for tripling it, the baking powder added up to 3 teaspoons!! In all of my years of baking, I’ve never seen that many teaspoons in a cookie recipe (that fit in my 6 quart mixer).

I contacted the people who posted it and they are unable to tell me if they would recommend tripling it.

Here is the recipe. Please tell me what you guys think. I am anxiously awaiting your replies. I really want to get started on this so I’ll have time to make any flavor adjustments. (I also posted it with their pic below. Hopefully it will all show up. If the picture doesn’t show up, click on the link below. )

https://lmld.org/hershey-kiss-smores-cookies/

HERSHEY KISS S'MORES COOKIES

PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 9 mins
TOTAL TIME: 14 mins
Serves: 24-32 (it only made 18)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs/pieces (decide how fine you want them)
  • ½ cup softened butter (1 stick)
  • ¾ cups brown sugar
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1¾ cups flour
  • 12-16 large marshmallows
  • 24-32 Hershey Kisses
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together the butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl till creamy.
  3. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix till incorporated.
  4. In another bowl add the baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour and graham cracker crumbs.
  5. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir together till a soft dough is formed.
  6. Scoop 1 inch sized balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone liner.
  7. Bake cookies for about 7 minutes, until top is golden.
  8. Cut marshmallows in half (scissors work great) and unwrap kisses.
  9. Top each cookie with a marshmallow half with the sticky side down.
  10. Return to the oven and bake for 1 to 1½ minutes until marshmallow puffs up.
  11. Remove from oven and top each marshmallow with a Hershey Kiss.
  12. Allow cookies to rest on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Reaction score
I found a great Smore‘s recipe but it’s really small and I wanted to bake it for game day so I was going to triple it. But when I went to write out the figures for tripling it, the baking powder added up to 3 teaspoons!! In all of my years of baking, I’ve never seen that many teaspoons in a cookie recipe (that fit in my 6 quart mixer).

I contacted the people who posted it and they are unable to tell me if they would recommend tripling it.

Here is the recipe. Please tell me what you guys think. I am anxiously awaiting your replies. I really want to get started on this so I’ll have time to make any flavor adjustments. (I also posted it with their pic below. Hopefully it will all show up. If the picture doesn’t show up, click on the link below. )

https://lmld.org/hershey-kiss-smores-cookies/

HERSHEY KISS S'MORES COOKIES

PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 9 mins
TOTAL TIME: 14 mins
Serves: 24-32 (it only made 18)

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs/pieces (decide how fine you want them)
  • ½ cup softened butter (1 stick)
  • ¾ cups brown sugar
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 1 large eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1¾ cups flour
  • 12-16 large marshmallows
  • 24-32 Hershey Kisses
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together the butter, sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl till creamy.
  3. Add in the egg and vanilla and mix till incorporated.
  4. In another bowl add the baking soda, baking powder, salt, flour and graham cracker crumbs.
  5. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir together till a soft dough is formed.
  6. Scoop 1 inch sized balls onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment or a silicone liner.
  7. Bake cookies for about 7 minutes, until top is golden.
  8. Cut marshmallows in half (scissors work great) and unwrap kisses.
  9. Top each cookie with a marshmallow half with the sticky side down.
  10. Return to the oven and bake for 1 to 1½ minutes until marshmallow puffs up.
  11. Remove from oven and top each marshmallow with a Hershey Kiss.
  12. Allow cookies to rest on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes, then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.

Recipes written in volume measurements can usually be doubled without issues. Once you go be on that the ratios of ingredients become skewed. The ingredients most affected are the chemical leaveners. I would mix two batches. One double batch and one regular batch.

The leavening is already above the standard. The standard is 1 tsp baking powder per cup of flour or 1/4 tsp baking soda per cup of flour. This contains both, which is fine. But as you increase the recipe it will skew more and have an adverse impact on the taste

Reaction score
Recipes written in volume measurements can usually be doubled without issues. Once you go be on that the ratios of ingredients become skewed. The ingredients most affected are the chemical leaveners. I would mix two batches. One double batch and one regular batch.

The leavening is already above the standard. The standard is 1 tsp baking powder per cup of flour or 1/4 tsp baking soda per cup of flour. This contains both, which is fine. But as you increase the recipe it will skew more and have an adverse impact on the taste

Yeah, OK. Then I’ll probably just make two double batches. I was just hoping someone with more experience than I have could tell me what adjustments to make to the baking soda and baking powder so that I COULD triple this recipe that I posted above. :-(

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, OK. Then I’ll probably just make two double batches. I was just hoping someone with more experience than I have could tell me what adjustments to make to the baking soda and baking powder so that I COULD triple this recipe that I posted above. :-(

Yes unfortunately the only way that you can adjust the leavening properly is if the recipe is in metric weight. Volume measurements cannot be scaled.

Ask a Question