Using Refrigerated Amish Friendship Bread Starter and Plant-Based Milk

Reaction score
I was recently given some starter for Amish Friendship Bread. On day 10 when I was supposed to add another cup each of oil, milk, and flour and then make the recipe several things came up and I couldn’t do it, so I just threw the starter into the refrigerator. Can I still use it by adding those ingredients and proceed to make the bread? Or do I just need to start over again from scratch?

Also, can the starter be made with plant based milk, i.e. oat?

Logicalbaker

Reaction score
If you've refrigerated the Amish Friendship Bread starter on day 10 without adding the additional ingredients, you can still use it to make the bread. Here's what you can do:

1. Take the starter out of the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature. This may take a few hours.

2. Once the starter is at room temperature, proceed with adding the required ingredients: 1 cup of oil, 1 cup of milk (yes, you can use plant-based milk like oat milk), and 1 cup of flour. Mix them well into the starter.

3. After adding the ingredients, continue with the regular instructions for making the Amish Friendship Bread recipe. You may need to follow the remaining steps for days 10, 9, 8, and so on, depending on the specific instructions that came with your starter.

4. Once you have followed the necessary steps, you can proceed to bake the Amish Friendship Bread as usual.

By adding the missing ingredients and allowing the starter to come back to life at room temperature, you should be able to continue the process and make the bread without starting over from scratch.

Remember to follow the specific instructions provided with your starter, as there may be variations in the process and time frames. Enjoy baking your Amish Friendship Bread, and feel free to share it with friends and family!

Reaction score
Yes, you can still use the Amish Friendship Bread starter after refrigerating it. When ready to use, bring it to room temperature, add the required cup each of oil, milk, and flour, and proceed with the recipe. Additionally, you can use plant-based milk like oat milk as a substitute in the starter without issues. Happy baking!

Ask a Question