Efficiently Scaling Up Production of Cherry Pies

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and hoping for some advice on scaling up a pie recipe. It's a classic cherry pie using butter-flavored Crisco. I got a job at a local breakfast/lunch restaurant making pastries, and they would like me to make ten cherry pies after the restaurant closes. I will freeze them, and they will bake a few in the morning, so I need to provide a steady supply of pies during the week to keep up with demand. What tips and tricks are there to scale up pie-making and do it efficiently to save time? Has anyone ever had to do this before?

For example, I plan to start by making the dough I need, forming disks, and letting them rest in the fridge while I make all the filling. While the filling is cooling, I'll roll out the bottom crusts and cut the lattice strips. (I know doing a lattice for the top crust is a lot of work, but I want them to look good and not just taste good.) Once the filling has cooled, I'll pour it into the pies and add the latticework. Are there any ways to make this production more efficient? I don't want to spend five hours making 10 pies if I can do it in three hours.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and hoping for some advice on scaling up a pie recipe. It's a classic cherry pie using butter-flavored Crisco. I got a job at a local breakfast/lunch restaurant making pastries, and they would like me to make ten cherry pies after the restaurant closes. I will freeze them, and they will bake a few in the morning, so I need to provide a steady supply of pies during the week to keep up with demand. What tips and tricks are there to scale up pie-making and do it efficiently to save time? Has anyone ever had to do this before?

For example, I plan to start by making the dough I need, forming disks, and letting them rest in the fridge while I make all the filling. While the filling is cooling, I'll roll out the bottom crusts and cut the lattice strips. (I know doing a lattice for the top crust is a lot of work, but I want them to look good and not just taste good.) Once the filling has cooled, I'll pour it into the pies and add the latticework. Are there any ways to make this production more efficient? I don't want to spend five hours making 10 pies if I can do it in three hours.
Your approach is for a home baker, not commercial production. There’s no way you’re gonna make 10 pies in three hours with your approach.

1) baker’s percentages are used to scale dough and batters. If you don’t know baker’s percentages, you need to learn it. It is the only way to create a consist product day in, day out.

2) pie dough must rest 24 hrs min to be good. The flour needs time to fully hydrate, and the gluten needs to relax So you need to make your dough at least 24 hrs in advance of rolling and cutting.

3) If you are using fresh or frozen cherries, blueberries, or any fruit with a high water content, you need to know how to properly thicken it with tapioca starch. Unlike cornstarch which bakes up cloudy and goopy, tapioca starch cooks clear and thinner. Learn Stella Parks’ ratio of sugar, fruit, and tapioca starch to properly thicken fruit filling.

4) pie dough freezes well. Make a week's worth of dough or more on day one. Day two roll out and cut disks and lattice strips, then freeze. Day of bake, place frozen disk on pie plate; as it thaws it will sink into pie plate. Fill and cover with lattice strips. Egg wash and bake.

Reaction score

its ez, 90 minutes.
Make the dough, roll all the bases and stack with paper between.
BUY cherry pie filling in #10 7lb cans, pro bakers use ingredients, we don't commercially make ingredients.
Make the pies, wrap and freeze off. Avoid dredging with sugar before freezing. Just a simple wash.

Ask a Question