Substituting Animal Products in Baking Recipes

Reaction score
Some of the most basic and common baking ingredients are things like butter, milk, and eggs, and some recipes even call for lard. I was wondering what your favourite veg-friendly substitutes are! Milk seems to be the easiest to replace, as there's rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, and so on. Eggs and butter seem a bit trickier, though. What have you used, and how did it turn out?

Reaction score
I know, as a vegetarian myself this can be an issue. For butter I have substituted apple sauce (I've done this for eggs as well) and of course for milk have used soy or rice milk as well. I know this isn't vegetarian but for sugar I've used grade B maple syrup and/or agave syrup.

Reaction score
Thanks Mayvin, great tip about the applesauce, I will have to try that! I'm vegetarian but still want to cut down on the animal products I use. Knocking butter and eggs out of the equation is going to help a lot.

Reaction score
I have heard of the apple sauce. Does it translate well as to taste? I wonder because if you replace the milk with even unflavored soy or other milks it seems to add a lot of sweetness.

Ask a Question