what can i substitude with bananas

Reaction score
hey everyone!

I have a really good recipe for muffins, but i want to change it a little bit, and put bananas in it. so my question is, if i put in two bananas, can i just add them to the recipe or should i substitude some other ingredient with it? for example do i put less sugar or flour in it?

thank you!

Reaction score
hey everyone!

I have a really good recipe for muffins, but i want to change it a little bit, and put bananas in it. so my question is, if i put in two bananas, can i just add them to the recipe or should i substitude some other ingredient with it? for example do i put less sugar or flour in it?

thank you!

Welcome to the forum. I think the issue with adding banana would be the increased moisture and weight. If your muffins are light and fluffy, adding banana will definitely make them denser. Bananas contain a lot of moisture. Too much moisture will produce a rubbery texture.

Banana nut bread is notorious for being dense and rubbery. America’s Test Kitchen has a recipe for banana nut bread in which they eliminated some of the moisture. They reduced the liquid from the banana by cooking it in the microwave. They then drained it, reduced the liquid in a saucepan on the stovetop. After of which they mixed it back into the banana.

Certainly you could try your muffin recipe as written and simply add the banana to see how it comes out. If it proves to be too much moisture, then try the cooked banana technique.

You can Google america’s test kitchen banana nut bread recipe to see the full instructions for reducing the liquid.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I think the issue with adding banana would be the increased moisture and weight. If your muffins are light and fluffy, adding banana will definitely make them denser. Bananas contain a lot of moisture. Too much moisture will produce a rubbery texture.

Banana nut bread is notorious for being dense and rubbery. America’s Test Kitchen has a recipe for banana nut bread in which they eliminated some of the moisture. They reduced the liquid from the banana by cooking it in the microwave. They then drained it, reduced the liquid in a saucepan on the stovetop. After of which they mixed it back into the banana.

Certainly you could try your muffin recipe as written and simply add the banana to see how it comes out. If it proves to be too much moisture, then try the cooked banana technique.

You can Google america’s test kitchen banana nut bread recipe to see the full instructions for reducing the liquid.

Thank you so much for your reply!
Yes, i didn't really think of the moisture. but the recipe also has some milk in it, so i should be able to take banana instead of like half the milk (depending on how much banana i put in...) ?
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Mmmm I love banana muffins! It might be useful if we could see the recipe you are using. I have a friend with an egg allergy, and she sometimes uses bananas as a substitute for eggs in baking. Perhaps you could try that here - eg substitute one banana for one egg? Depends on the recipe though.

Ask a Question