Would you trust dollar store ingredients?

Reaction score
I never knew that cheaper brands of spices or seasonings make a big difference. I have noticed this in garlic powder and onion powder, and also cinnamon. I due trust some grocery store generic brands but very selective to the dollar store ones.

Reaction score
I like buying things at a discount or on sale. so I am always looking for a good deal. Dollar stores do have some really good deals. That's one of the reasons I buy from them.

Reaction score
I read the box to see where it comes from first. If it is from the states I will buy it and use it. If it is not from the states or even the UK I will leave it right where it is.

Reaction score
I have bought food at the dollar store and it's been pretty decent I think it depends on what you're getting and if it looks a bit questionable.

Reaction score
I live in New Hampshire and we have a place called Job Lots. It is not a dollar store but it is kind of a discount warehouse and they always have a great selection of dry goods. Name brand stuff too, I guess mostly overstock. If I ever need oats or flour I can count on them to have great organic stuff and really really good prices. I think Big Lots does this too, but there are not many of them up this way and the one I have found is quite the drive from my house.

Reaction score
I like going to the dollar stores. I can find lots of good deals on many of the foods I buy. I buy a lot of my ingredients from dollar stores because I like to save money. I try to get my sister to do the same, but she likes going to the big stores and doesn't really think about the dollar stores.

Reaction score
If I'm at the dollar store I stick to name brands. Aunt Bessy's is aunt Bessy's wherever you go as long the date is in. I do tend to stay clear of any brands I haven't heard of though.

Reaction score
After reading some of these replies, I am genuinely surprised. I prefer to shop at the dollar store. Baking is extremely expensive. I have never had a problem with any baking products that I have bought from the dollar store. Why would I pay 4.50 for something when I can pay 2.00 for the same thing at the dollar store? If you go to a dollar store that is always being restocked, you definitely should not have a problem. I don't really think you need to worry about that. Dollar stores are awesome.

Reaction score
I am always looking for a bargain and love to shop for stock items at the dollar stores, Big Lots and Ocean State Job Lot. I do read the labels religiously because I have found more items in those stores that come from other countries as well as short expiration dates and I won't purchase those. I usually buy my spices from a local market that grinds their own (and has an annual sale which is cheaper than buying anywhere else) or use my own dried herbs.

Reaction score
I use the dollar store often for all kinds of baking items. I would look close at expiration dates on them, but other than that, they are perfectly fine for using. I wonder if they work like Big Lots does and are stores that get overstocked items from other stores, and is why they can sell them at cheaper rates.

Reaction score
For namebrand items, they only sell them a little bit cheaper in some cases. Sometimes, they have generic brands or products that haven't been selling well in stores. In many cases, if you notice, the packages are also smaller.

That said, I don't mind buying a lot of ingredients from dollar stores. I prefer high-quality extracts and chocolate, but I buy things like flour and sugar from dollar stores all the time without a problem.

Reaction score
I trust the dollar store for getting baking items. My dollar store is called dollar tree and it gets the over flow from when local stores purchase too much they get what's left over and sell it for cheap. Same name brand product but it may be close to expiration depending on the store. You always have to watch carefully

Reaction score
I am on a very tight budget due to only having social security check for an income. I have to save on everything that I can. I use dollar store ingredients all of the time and have not noticed any difference. I do watch for the expiration dates. Flour is flour and sugar is sugar, the same for most other things. I also use a lot of their canned items with no noticeable difference.

Reaction score
Honestly i really don't think there is a difference in the ingredients that are purchased at the dollar store; i have shop there on numerous occasions and the products are just as good.

Reaction score
I have shopped in a dollar store before and I don't think I would ever buy anything again from one. There is a reason the things in there are only a dollar and I just don't trust them.

Ask a Question