A salted mocha & walnut Battenberg cake

Reaction score
salted-mocha-walnut-battenberg-cake-10.jpg

Coffee & walnut cake is my favourite ever cake, and Battenberg always hits the spot with me: so this is my version, combining these two classics.

The salted mocha buttercream, the deep richness of the two sponges and the salty-bitterness of the caramelised walnuts work well together I think.

Recipe at: https://bakingfanatic.wordpress.com/2016/03/15/salted-mocha-walnut-battenberg-cake/

Reaction score
I never knew what this kind of cake was called until they made it on The Great British Baking Show!!!!
And wow....how difficult this thing is to make!

I wouldn't cover it with fondant though, I'd cover it in melted chocolate. I don't like fondant.

Reaction score
It's actually not too hard to do but it really does look hard. I've put photos of each stage in the recipe link.

I wouldn't use fondant either: I use the classic marzipan which is far far nicer

Reaction score
It looks hard to make to me. It also looks really cool.

Yeah, I'd skip the fondant. Not a fan. Marzipan sounds much nicer, and I've recently learned more about how to select (or make) the best quality of it.

I think I'll try it on something else first though. I have a feeling that my attempts at this particular cake would not look as pretty as the picture.

Reaction score
Omg... this is beautiful and I bey super tasty as well! I'd love to try making this, it doesn't look hard t make at all, but I bet it's just so delicious and perfect for when you have people over :)

Reaction score
I never knew what this kind of cake was called until they made it on The Great British Baking Show!!!!
And wow....how difficult this thing is to make!

I wouldn't cover it with fondant though, I'd cover it in melted chocolate. I don't like fondant.
I agree with you on that one, I am not fond of fondant either. I can have a small piece of it, but not as much as is on a cake slice or I get sick of it quickly. This cake looks like it would be complicated to make, but I think chocolate drizzled on top would hit the spot nicely.

Reaction score
Fondant would go nowhere near this cake: totally the wrong covering: it should be thin marzipan/almond paste all the way! But a chocolate ganache is a great alternative

Ask a Question