Advice Please!

Reaction score
I am making a cake for my sons 2nd birthday.
The design will be 'construction' as he is obsessed with diggers/dumpers etc, I was planning on doing a basic victoria sponge slab cake. With green fondant on the top, the number 2 will be done in a buttercream icing following track marks of a toy digger.
Ill use things like chocolate chips etc to fill the digger scoop to add effect.. I'd also seen an idea of mixing digestive biscuits with food colouring gel to give more of a grass effect over the fondant.
I am worried that there will be too many flavour's mixing together does anyone have any suggestions/replacement ideas?

I've attached an example I found on Google, but I'm going for rectangle.
My son and I do not really like chocolate cake (which I know would be a MUCH easier option.)

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 326
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :)

I love the cake idea, it's fairly simple but looks very effective. The most soil-like thing that I've found is Oreos, you just have to blitz them in a food processor. You could maybe do a cookies and cream cake? If you mix finely processed Oreos with buttercream you get a kinda grey result too, that could work well.

I've done this recipe before, using Oreos instead of fresh cookies (but you could use whatever you prefer):

http://hartibakes.blogspot.com/2014/07/cookies-cream-cake-hummingbird-bakery.html

Ask a Question