Baking for Boy

Reaction score
We know little girls love to bake , but does anyone have any special recipes of baking idea that can help a boy become interested in baking. Are there any fun baking activities that you know a boy would like?

Reaction score
I have no experience dealing with children, but I have seen boys that like to bake challenging recipes that girls can't.

Would be matter to encourage them to try some, but looks like they need the challenging element to show off they can what girls don't.

Or at least this is the ways I have seen they go when visiting my friends with little boys.

Reaction score
My boys have always enjoyed helping in the kitchen. I don't do anything special/different for them. We bake cookies, cakes, etc. They love to help! My 5 year old son is always the one to dump the ingredients into the bowl.
My 14 year old son went through a period where he was very creative in his cooking, and would make us dinner!

Reaction score
The gender identity is really what you make of it. I think boys would enjoy most any baking activity in the kitchen. Some of the best pastry chefs in the world are men and it's good to see many celebrity pastry chefs. (Chef Duff!)

If you've got a boy that has already identified baking as a girl activity, consider breads. Baking different kinds of breads can be a great way to get that passion started. :)

Reaction score
Maybe start off with a cool recipe. Boys like cool things LOL. My neighbor's 16 yr old son is into it. He started off with cooking chicken, shrimp, and then moved to baking. He did cheesecakes, and macrons and is really enjoying it. He likes the Master chefs

Reaction score
Agreed Christine! There's no shortage of "cool" celebrity chefs now that are guys. BBQ is one of the coolest dude activities out there! Getting started on that and moving into baking is logical. Refer to my comments on baking bread. Bread and BBQ go hand-in-hand.

Reaction score
I have three sons, no daughters. I always made an effort to include them in kitchen time whenever possible. Two of my sons (all grown now) turned out to be pretty decent cooks. One is actually interested enough that, at one point, I thought he might attend culinary school and become a chef. He didn't do that, but he's now known by friends and family for creating fantastic cheesecakes. I've also cooked/baked with many children in my care over the years as a child care provider. Gender never seemed to matter. This summer I watched two boys. One loved to bake, the other "hid" whenever we fired up the oven! ;)

Find something your boy might be interested in....themed cookies from a game he likes, maybe, or teaching how to create his favorite dessert, or his favorite meal. I'm with the others who have said that cooking is certainly not a gender-based activity. Look at all the work Julia Child had to do to make a name for herself! Good luck and happy cooking!!

Reaction score
Agreed Christine! There's no shortage of "cool" celebrity chefs now that are guys. BBQ is one of the coolest dude activities out there! Getting started on that and moving into baking is logical. Refer to my comments on baking bread. Bread and BBQ go hand-in-hand.

baking bread on the BBQ would be even cooler!

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of baking bread on the BBQ. I'm sure there's something on the internet about it, but I'm not even sure how to get started with it. Gonna have to look that one up!

Reaction score
I hadn't thought of baking bread on the BBQ. I'm sure there's something on the internet about it, but I'm not even sure how to get started with it. Gonna have to look that one up!

There is a pizza dough recipe to make on the BBQ, I think it is a pretty universal recipe so look that one up to start with. Lots of flatbreads can be done on the Barbie.....

Reaction score
I think little boys and girls will equally enjoy just being involved in the activity based on how it is presented. I have never had a problem getting little volunteers of either gender to help decorate a cake or cupcakes. If you make it a sort of competition, children rise to the occassion. I once did it with decorating cupcakes to look like people or faces and all the kids (young and old) joined in.

Reaction score
We know little girls love to bake , but does anyone have any special recipes of baking idea that can help a boy become interested in baking. Are there any fun baking activities that you know a boy would like?
My son is interested in baking/cooking anything. Little boys love to get dirty (usually) so maybe letting him knead some dough so he can get his hands dirty and for some hands-on fun!

Reaction score
My grandson loves to bake. He likes to help with cookies, homemade playdough, and cakes. He gets to do the mixing, and decorating.

Reaction score
Are there some baked goods he loves at the store or in restaurants? Perhaps you can start with those and show him how they are made from scratch. I used to bake with my mom and grandmother when I was a kid, and we would make nut kolachi rolls from scratch, as well as cinnamon rolls - both of which we also got from the store regularly when we didn't have the time to bake them. It made me appreciate all the work that went into making them. I also used to make a ton of zucchini bread with my mom, when we were trying to use up all the ones in our garden - I was often in charge of all the peeling and grating.

Reaction score
One of the things my cousin did to get her son into "baking". Was to have him make no bake cookies. It basically made him be hands on and made the whole process easier for him. Now, she just has to try and teach him that there are cookies that you bake!

Reaction score
My 2 1/2 year old boy loves to bake cupcakes. That's our newest adventure right now. I usually put a chair up to the counter and let him help me mix and pour everything together. After they are baked, he wants to play "happy birthday", so we put a candle in the cupcake and he blows it out!

Reaction score
Yesterday, we had a new baking experience. My grandson made a sugar cookie, decorated it, and shaped it like a ginger bread man. He has a new fascination for it, since we introduced the book for him to read. Anyway, he said that the cookie was for Santa Claus. After he finished, he said "we can get another cookie for Santa, I am going to eat this one and share it with Grandma, instead."

It was delicious.

Reaction score
My boys have always loved baking as well.. they don't think of it as a girl's activity (because it isn't.. food.. who doesn't love food! lol). I guess though, that you could do things like mud pies or those buckets of whatever lol.. sorry, I haven't made them, but we've eaten them. The ones where you fill the bucket with puddings and whipped cream and cookie crumbles and gummy worms etc to look like a bucket of dirt? I don't know haha, it's something like that. Not exactly baking, but maybe a gateway. Also, the cookie pizza was always a fave for both sexes whenever I've made them with a group of kids.

Ask a Question