Cinnamon rolls, switching from a glass to an aluminium baking dish

Reaction score
Hello,

Possibly someone could move this thread if it belongs in pastry instead of bread. Chelsea style buns seem to fall in the middle somewhere.

I have this recipe for cinnamon rolls which I really like. The recipe is below.

I make this recipe (or some version of it) frequently. This weekend, I am going to make some of these to send
to someone and I am going to use disposable aluminum baking pans instead of the glass I usually use.

My understanding is that this may increase the baking time some but I'm not sure.

Can someone give me some advice as to changes in baking time or temperature that might arise from the change?

Thanks,

LMHmedchem

Code:
Raised Yeast Cinnamon Rolls (1 day cold method)

sweet dough:
½    cup    milk (scalded and cooled to room temperature)
6    tbl    butter (softened)
⅓    cup    light brown sugar
2    large  eggs
½    tsp    salt
⅔    cup    water (tap water brought to room temperature)
2¼   tsp    active dry yeast (or 1 package of yeast, not rapid rise)
¼    tsp    granulated sugar (to bloom yeast)
3½   cups   flour
2    tbl    butter (melted for basting)
            butter and granulated sugar to grease and coat the baking dish
            9¼” x 13¼” glass baking dish

filling:
⅓    cup    dark brown sugar
4    tsp    cinnamon
½    cup    butter (softened)

glaze:
2    cups   powdered sugar
4    tbl    butter (softened)
1    tsp    vanilla extract
2    tbl    hot water

make the dough:
Add the milk to a small pan and scald by heating until it starts to bubble up around the edges
of the pan but does not quite boil. Transfer to a heat-proof container and let to come to room
temperature. Measure out ⅔ cup of cold tap water and let come to room temperature. After the
milk and water have reached room temperature, bloom the yeast by adding the yeast and ¼ tsp
of sugar to ½ cup of the room temperature water. Set the rest of the water aside. Use a small
whisk to mix until the yeast has completely dissolved. Allow the yeast to bloom until there is
approximately ⅛ inch of foam on top of the mixture. Do not over bloom.

While the yeast is blooming, add the 6 tbl of softened butter to the mixing bowl of a stand mixer
along with ⅓ cup light brown sugar and the salt. Cream with a paddle attachment on high speed
until the butter is light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the milk and 1 cup
of the flour. Add the eggs one at a time and whisk the mixture into a smooth batter.

When the yeast has bloomed, add the yeast and water mixture and 2½ cups of flour to the batter
in the mixing bowl. Switch to a dough hook and mix on low until the dough comes together. The
dough should clean the sides of the bowl but be sticky enough to form a foot that covers the bottom
of the bowl. If the dough is not sticking and forming a foot, add some of additional water until the
proper consistency is reached. The humidity will determine the total amount of water required. It will
probably be necessary to scrape down the sides of the bowl at least once.

Knead the dough with the dough hook for 7 minutes on low speed. Remove the dough from the bowl
onto a floured kneading surface and knead by hand a few times to form a ball. The dough should be
soft and smooth. Place the dough in a greased 6” x 6” square covered container. Push the dough
down into the corners and cover. Prove at room temperature for 60 minutes and then refrigerate for
another 20 minutes. This will chill the dough and make it easier to work with. The dough will double
in size. Leave the dough in the refrigerator for longer if it has not.

assembly:
Before starting assembly, mix the cinnamon and dark brown sugar in a small bowl. Also, butter the
baking dish and sprinkle with sugar.

After the dough has proved, tip it from the square container onto a floured rolling surface. Flip the dough
over to flour both sides and re-flour the surface. Press down the dough to remove the air and enlarge the
square shape from the container. Roll out the dough into a 14” by 14” square. Spread ½ cup of softened
butter on the dough using the back of a serving spoon. Do not put any butter on a ½ inch margin along
the top edge. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar onto the buttered dough. Keep the application of the mixture as
even as possible and cover the dough all the way to the edges. Do not put any of the sugar mixture on the
unbuttered ½ inch margin along the top.

Roll up the dough into a log by starting at the edge opposite the unbuttered margin. Make an effort to keep
the roll the same diameter all the way across. When the dough has been rolled up, pinch the roll closed with
the unbuttered ½ inch section. Roll the log out to 18” along the long edge. Use this action to even out the
diameter where necessary. Cut the roll in to 12 1½ inch segments using dental floss. Place the cut segments
in the baking dish in three rows of four. Place the baking dish in a turkey roasting bag and leave to prove at
room temperature until the space between the rolls closes up and the rolls look puffy. The dough
should spring back after an indentation is made with a fingertip.

bake: Preheat the oven to 350F°
Remove the baking dish from the roasting bag and bake the rolls for 25 minutes. Turn the baking dish after 15
minutes. Melt 2 tbl of butter while the rolls are baking. After 25 minutes, remove the baking dish from the oven
and brush the rolls with the melted butter. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 5-10 more minutes. The rolls
should have a golden brown color that is not too dark. Remove the dish from the oven and cool for 10 minutes.

Make the glaze by mixing the softened butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 tbl of hot tap water. Mix with a
serving spoon until the butter is incorporated. Add up to 1 additional tsp of hot water if the glaze is too thick to
be easily spreadable. Once the right consistency is reached, whisk the glaze until smooth. Glaze the rolls after
they have cooled enough that the glaze does not melt.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd put the foil pan on a sheet tray to prevent bottom from scorching.
Just bake the same way and take them out when you know they're done.
You'll know because you've made them before. Go with instinct.

Ask a Question