Baking powder/baking soda/salt

Reaction score
The recipe for cupcake im using calls for 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt. it comes out a little dry. what can do to make my cupcakes moist? should i put less baking powder/soda/salt? i cant seem to get the perfect balance of all three

Reaction score
its for purple yam cupcakes. I used purple yam paste as ingredient which i assume adds moisture. but the proportion of the baking powder 1 1/2 tsp 1/4 tsp baking soda 1/4 tsp salt, doesnt seem to work for me. i want my cupcakes to come out moist and dense

Reaction score
Fat is what gives cakes its "moisture". Oil, butter, lard, etc....

Without the fat in cake batter, its just light bread.

If you like butter, add a melted stick of butter to the batter. If you don't like butter or can't have it, add oil......and depending on the type of oil, will depend on what results you get. Some oils give different flavors and consistencies to cakes. I would suggest sunflower or Canola oil if you want to keep the oil flavor out of the recipe.

1/4 extra cup of oil or melted margarine or butter works for my standard recipes.

Reaction score
Seeing the recipe would really help - there are lots of recipe for purple yam cupcakes, so I don't know which one you are using ;)

Reaction score
Fat is what gives cakes its "moisture". Oil, butter, lard, etc....

Without the fat in cake batter, its just light bread.

If you like butter, add a melted stick of butter to the batter. If you don't like butter or can't have it, add oil......and depending on the type of oil, will depend on what results you get. Some oils give different flavors and consistencies to cakes. I would suggest sunflower or Canola oil if you want to keep the oil flavor out of the recipe.

1/4 extra cup of oil or melted margarine or butter works for my standard recipes.
thank u! recipe seems to call for little butter, just 1/4 cup. i'll definitely try to add a little bit on my next batch. thank u!

Reaction score
Seeing the recipe would really help - there are lots of recipe for purple yam cupcakes, so I don't know which one you are using ;)

Yes, it always helps to have the recipe posted or a linked.

I've never heard of yam cupcakes, much less purple ones.

Of course, we here in the Southern USA call yams, "sweet potatoes"..........

:D

Reaction score
Are these ube cupcakes? I've run across ube recipes online and saw it at the Asian grocery but haven't baked with it. I believe it's common in the Philippines. I want to try someday just because.

I'm also curious about the recipe.

Ask a Question