Baking with Irish steel-cut oats

Reaction score
I just mixed up and tried baking some cookies using steel-cut oats. Needless to say, if you don't soak the oats ahead of time, and the recipe didn't call for this, you run the risk of chipping a tooth. And I did. Does anyone have any good recipes using Irish or Scottish oatmeal?

Reaction score
I just mixed up and tried baking some cookies using steel-cut oats. Needless to say, if you don't soak the oats ahead of time, and the recipe didn't call for this, you run the risk of chipping a tooth. And I did. Does anyone have any good recipes using Irish or Scottish oatmeal?
No, but why would you want to use steel cut oats in baked goods? They’re going to be mushy because they have to be pre-cooked or soaked. So whatever you put them in will have a gooey texture and heavy dense weight.

That’s the beauty of rolled oats—you get the wonderful oat flavor in baked goods without all that gooey denseness that so many people find repulsive about oatmeal.

Reaction score
I have made many a loaf of oatmeal bread using steel-cut oats and the results have always been beautiful, light bread which made excellent toast. Of course the oats were soaked before use, but they do not yield a heavy bread. I've also made traditional Irish oatcakes, not pre-soaking the oats, and the oatcakes were crunchy, but not to the point of tooth-breaking crunchiness.

Ask a Question