Best Place to Buy Filo?

Reaction score
I am in love with Spanakopita and have to decided to try my hand at making it. I am not sure where to look for filo or what the differences are between brands. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on where and what to look for?

Reaction score
The only place I know of to buy Phyllo dough the grocery store in the refrigerator section. Look in cold foods area ,it is usually found next to the frozen pie section.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love Spanakopita as well, anything with Spinach and cheese just screams at me. I made it once, but I didn't use filo dough, I made my own dough from a recipe that I found online and it was yummy (though I can't remember the website). If you're going to buy your filo then the grocery store is indeed the best place to get it from. I buy the one from President's Choice, I like how the pastries come out with it and it's a fairly good price, it's available in Canada, I'm not sure about elsewhere.

Reaction score
Wow you made your own Phyllo dough , I am so very impressed. What made you want to take on the challenge of making you own from scratch ? Do you remember if this was difficult or very time consuming? Did it come out better than store bought?

Reaction score
Wow you made your own Phyllo dough , I am so very impressed. What made you want to take on the challenge of making you own from scratch ? Do you remember if this was difficult or very time consuming? Did it come out better than store bought?

I was actually running around making dinner that day because my cousin was coming over and I wanted to present her with a feast. I had no Filo at the time and I prepped the spinach and cheese; the stores were closed when I was making it so I had to make the Filo too. It was all pretty last minute but I didn't see it as a challenge more like "I have to get this done." It wasn't too difficult because I used a recipe online, but rolling it out took a while. It came out a little thicker than I wanted, but it tasted pretty good. My cousin gave me 2 thumbs up and finished everything!

In addition to the Spanakopita, I made her: cupcakes, pizza, fettuccine alfredo pasta, rice, dhal (split peas), and chocolate mousse with a hint of coffee. We had a blast eating it all. :)

Reaction score
I was actually running around making dinner that day because my cousin was coming over and I wanted to present her with a feast. I had no Filo at the time and I prepped the spinach and cheese; the stores were closed when I was making it so I had to make the Filo too. It was all pretty last minute but I didn't see it as a challenge more like "I have to get this done." It wasn't too difficult because I used a recipe online, but rolling it out took a while. It came out a little thicker than I wanted, but it tasted pretty good. My cousin gave me 2 thumbs up and finished everything!

In addition to the Spanakopita, I made her: cupcakes, pizza, fettuccine alfredo pasta, rice, dhal (split peas), and chocolate mousse with a hint of coffee. We had a blast eating it all. :)

WOW, you were one busy cook! My hats off to you for getting all that done. I think I would have needed oxygen from the cute ambulance drivers after all of that.... LOL

Reaction score
I love Greek food and never thought of trying my hand at it. Good to know you can find it at a grocery store, but I am interesting in finding the recipe. Thanks all, will do some searching on line for a good recipe.

Reaction score
WOW, you were one busy cook! My hats off to you for getting all that done. I think I would have needed oxygen from the cute ambulance drivers after all of that.... LOL

Thank you! I'm usually not that busy, but I wanted to surprise my cousin. :) My parents went to the States that weekend so it was just me, my little brother and my cousin and I decided on the menu weeks prior, I was so excited; it would've been the first time my cousin slept over and I wanted to leave a great impression.

Yes, the ambulance drivers are pretty cute, though, I'd opt out for my boyfriend any day. :p:oops:

Ask a Question