Biscuits, trying to get bottoms and tops within the same range of golden brown

Reaction score
Bottom of biscuits are either too light with "silver" cookie sheet or too dark with dark baking sheet.
Have tried silicone pad on both sheets with no difference.
Middle rack of Oven set at 425 deg. for 15 minutes.
Experimented today with dark sheet 1/2 parchment paper and 1/2 lightly greased.
Both came out about the same, too brown on bottoms and a bit light on top.
I did pull them at 14 min. to brush with melted butter then put back in oven for 1 more minute.
Taste great but I'd like to get told and bottoms within a golden brown range.

Any Suggestions?
Thanks

Reaction score
Bottom of biscuits are either too light with "silver" cookie sheet or too dark with dark baking sheet.
I did pull them at 14 min. to brush with melted butter then put back in oven for 1 more minute.

Any Suggestions?
Thanks

425°F is a bit high for a dark metal baking sheet. Use parchment paper and try reducing the oven temperature. Biscuits need a hot oven, but as long as its at least 400°F, they should bake fine.

If you don’t have an oven thermometer, I would recommend buying one. You want to know that your oven is calibrated correctly; also need to bring the oven to full temperature before you begin to bake. it normally takes about 25–35 minutes for an oven to preheat.

Most home ovens have the heat source under the oven floor. Try moving the rack up one position when using the dark metal baking sheet.

Conversely, when using a light metal bakibg sheet, try increasing the oven temperature if the browning is not to your liking. You can go as high as 450°F (assuming your oven is calibrated for the correct temperature)

But understand you will never get a perfect match in browning because the bottoms of the biscuits are in direct contact with the metal, which is conducting heat directly onto the dough. The top of the biscuit is baked by hot air in the oven chamber.

Flour does not browned well. That's why most all-purpose and bread flours contain malted barley flour. The malted barley aids enzymatic activity to aid fermentation for yeasted doughs, and it promotes browning overall. If you are using a low protein, all purpose, flour, such as White Lily brand, there is no malted barley flour added.

Since flour does not brown well, bakers routinely use washes to achieve the desired color on baked goods. Butter is one type of wash to enhance color. Butter wash before will aid browning, add flavor, while keeping the crust soft.

But it's not uncommon to use an egg wash on biscuits.

Recipe to try. it contains buttermilk and sour cream. Cultured buttermilk used alone doesn't contain enough fat for a rich biscuit. The biscuits are brushed with a butter before baking.

Reaction score

Any Suggestions?
Thanks
Easy fix, flip them halfway through.
Like english muffins.

Ask a Question