Butter and flour a pan?

Reaction score
So many recipes call for a cake pan to be "buttered & floured". I've always just spread butter to prevent sticking. Does butter & flour really make a difference? If yes, then why?

Reaction score
Allegedly, butter and flour work lots better than sprays. But I'll ask again, WHY FLOUR? If you drop batter into the pan, the flour will just combine with the batter.

Reaction score
the flour provides a physical barrier , it doesn't combine with the batter unless physically agitated.
butter and flour don't work better than baking spray,
some people try the wrong spray,
cooking spray is the wrong spray, its like glue in a cake pan.

margarine and flour is better than butter/flour, same with crisco/flour. oil and flour is better than butter/flour.

Reaction score
I use something called 'pan grease,' a recipe I got in a book by George Greenstein, a now deceased baker from New Jersey. I love it. Mix equal parts vegetable oil, Crisco shortening and all purpose flour. I use a hand held mixer to combine until everything is homogenized and smooth. Put this in tightly covered container in your pantry, and it keeps for months. I make my batches small, 1/4 cup each ingredient, but you can make as much as you like. Brush or smear onto your pan or into your muffin cups, works great and easy clean up, does not stick like glue as some cooking sprays can.

Reaction score
I use something called 'pan grease,' a recipe I got in a book by George Greenstein, a now deceased baker from New Jersey. I love it. Mix equal parts vegetable oil, Crisco shortening and all purpose flour. I use a hand held mixer to combine until everything is homogenized and smooth. Put this in tightly covered container in your pantry, and it keeps for months. I make my batches small, 1/4 cup each ingredient, but you can make as much as you like. Brush or smear onto your pan or into your muffin cups, works great and easy clean up, does not stick like glue as some cooking sprays can.
thats what most bakeries do.
Unless you sell a muffin for $4 , in which case the spray is better , it costs more but cuts down on labor time. You can always buy another case of pan spray but you can't buy a case of time.

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. But the question wasn't how to keep stuff from sticking. I KNOW how to do that. Lots of ways to do it. The question is why fat/grease/oil dusted with flour seems to be highly recommended. Does the dusting with flour really help? In what way does the flour provide a physical barrier? Loads of flour already in the batter.

Reaction score
"the flour provides a physical barrier , it doesn't combine with the batter unless physically agitated."

Reaction score
thats what most bakeries do.
Unless you sell a muffin for $4 , in which case the spray is better , it costs more but cuts down on labor time. You can always buy another case of pan spray but you can't buy a case of time.
I don't sell anything, I am a home baker. I don't like the sprays because they get all over everything, not only the pan your are spraying. Much easier for me to use the pan grease, I've got time.

Reaction score
So many recipes call for a cake pan to be "buttered & floured". I've always just spread butter to prevent sticking. Does butter & flour really make a difference? If yes, then why?

Personally I am not a fan of butter for grease. Butter makes a poor pan grease because it contains milk solids and natural sugar. Water in butter will begin to separate from milk solids above the melting point of 95°F; water evaporates at 212°F. The milk solids then begin to brown and become sticky.

Baker’s grease, equal parts by weight of flour, oil, and shortening works best.

Baking spray (not cooking spray) is essentially baker’s grease in an aerosol. I prefer the sprays for convenience and the ability to apply a very thin layer.

If you use butter, it is advisable to lightly coat with flour. If making a bundt cake, I strongly recommend using baker’s grease to ensure the batter doesn't stick in the nooks and crannies.

Reaction score
Yes, buttering and flouring a cake pan makes a difference. It creates a thin barrier between the batter and the pan, preventing the cake from sticking.

Ask a Question