Butterfly Cake

Reaction score
I've been trying to come up with an idea for a really cool, really colorful cake to bake for my grandbaby's birthday. I thought about a filled cake with a colorful surprise inside, or a mulitcolor, multi-layer cake (I think the latter might be a bit beyond my skill level... I'm picturing a leaning tower of cake haha).

So, I saw this Butterfly Cake and I thought that might be a better way to make something pretty and colorful. I'm thinking of using my heart shaped pans for the pieces instead of cutting out this shape shown, although it does look really simple to do.

I also saw a picture somewhere that had cookies in the shape of butterflies, decorated, and perched on top of a colorful cake. It was really sweet, and I liked the added dimension. Too bad I can't find it again, lol.

I'll come up with something, but I'm having a hard time deciding. Either way, don't you think the linked cake is cute?

Reaction score
I love this picture but in reality I would butcher that beauty horribly lol. I'll try it in secret and if it fails, throw it away before anyone notices. ;) Again that butterfly cake is something I would even like to receive.

enhanced-buzz-29725-1387835644-13.jpg

Reaction score
Beautiful cake!!!!! It looks like such a beautiful yet simple idea, I could definitely do it :) Might do that for my niece when she has her next birthday party.

PrideKidd: That is awesome, lol!!!!! What a mess!!!! I think the person who did the second one did it on purpose tho, lol.

Reaction score
Hahaha! I think it was on purpose too, but thanks for the giggle! Looks like some of my attempts at things. ;)
I love that "try in secret so no one knows" thing too. hee hee

I do think the pattern for this butterfly cake is super easy. The trickiest part for me sometimes is trying to frost the cut areas, where the cake is not smooth. I'll just have to take my time (or use my heart pans, like I said before).

I've seen lots of other beauties too. I need to stop looking around though. I already can't make up my mind, and I keep adding more to choose from.

Reaction score
I love this picture but in reality I would butcher that beauty horribly lol. I'll try it in secret and if it fails, throw it away before anyone notices. ;) Again that butterfly cake is something I would even like to receive.

enhanced-buzz-29725-1387835644-13.jpg

This Pic is too funny! How does anyone messup something so simple so badly.

The butterfly cake looks like it woould be pretty easy. Give it a try.

Reaction score
Hahaha! I think it was on purpose too, but thanks for the giggle! Looks like some of my attempts at things. ;)

It might have been on purpose or maybe the person who did it was too lazy ;) I've met people who are indeed that lazy, hahaha! They think something like: oh well, I'm sure it won't be a big deal if I don't...''

Reaction score
I have no clue how one can accomplish such a Fail..I find that recipe is so simple even a child can help make it. Some of the other fail pictures on google images are hilarious. :)

Reaction score
It might have been on purpose or maybe the person who did it was too lazy ;) I've met people who are indeed that lazy, hahaha! They think something like: oh well, I'm sure it won't be a big deal if I don't...''

Right? That is just too funny. I've done the "well, it won't be that bad if I ..." thing. It's not usually when I'm being lazy but in my case more when I'm trying to find substitutions for things. Some of those just don't work out so well. But, yeah, that fail picture is hilarious. I probably wouldn't botch that particular one, but I have had some doozies.

Reaction score
Hahahahaha! I've done something like this in the past:

baking-fail-running-man-cookie.jpg

I think this kind of things happen when you think something like... '''Well... I'm sure nothing wrong would happen if I add more butter to the dough'', lol. That happened to me once... I was new to baking, very new ;)

Reaction score
LOL the extra butter made that poor dude gain some serious weight! I can totally see me doing something like that.

I should hang that picture on my fridge with a caption that says before sweets, after sweets.

But hey, wait.. this is supposed to be my butterfly cake thread, lol. More pictures of butterfly cakes!

Reaction score
Hhahahahah, yeah, right on! I've always been weak when it comes to funny baking fail pictures ;) :p But seriously, takes a lot courage to go on after a couple mistakes like that. Glad I did.

Ask a Question