cake flowers

Reaction score
what is the trick to making those pretty icing flowers on cakes? I have tried on numerous occassions and they never turn out like the ones you see in the store. Mine are either too fat or I flatten them by accident when I try to take them off the little pedestle.

Reaction score
I have never tried to make a rose out of icing but this is something I found online that you could try to use. :)

Prepare the Icing
Fill the piping bag with your colored royal icing. Add the rose tip to the bag before filling.
Note that when piping, it is good to put the icing bag in your dominant hand; this way you'll get the best motor control over the piping.

Piping the Rose
Prepare the rose nail. Pipe a small amount of icing onto the top of the rose nail, and then press a small square of wax paper onto the icing, using the icing to hold the paper and nail together.
Make the rose's center. Place the tip of the pastry bag with the rose tip onto the rose nail, with the wide end touching the wax paper. Spin the nail in a full circle to make a cone shape. You will need to synchronize your hand movements so that you're moving as fast as the icing is coming out.
Make the first layer of petals around the cone. Make each petal a little bit higher than the center, and make each third the circumference of the rose center, so that you can have three petals total.
Make the second layer of petals. This layer will have five petals total. Keep on making the petals higher than the others so that they arc upwards and outwards. Also, try to overlap the petals to make them look natural.
Make the final layer of petals. This one should consist of about seven evenly spaced petals. If you want a larger rose, you can continue to add layers.

Using the Icing Rose
Carefully slide the rose and the wax paper off the nail. Then, put it on a baking sheet or other flat surface. Give it 24 hours to harden.

Reaction score
This is great! I never would have thought of putting wax paper directly on the rose nail. Thank you very much for this onformation. I will be trying it next time I attempt to make roses out of frosting.

Reaction score
I stink at piping roses. After many failed attempts , I gave up on them along time ago. It is a shame because piped rose are so pretty. I just don't have the knack for making them.
If I want roses on a cake I use fondant or modeling chocolate to create them.

Ask a Question