Cake question.

Reaction score
Can butter be replace with oil in any cake( not pound Cake)?

Yes, you can substitute oil for butter. But you may need to DECREASE the amount of oil and INCREASE the leavening if the mixing instructions on the original recipe is to cream the butter since creaming is mechanical leavening. Creamed butter with sugar creates air pockets that trap CO2 from the activated leavening. You won't have that with oil.

Use about 25% less oil than butter. You’ll have to experiment with the leavening, but increase in small increments.

Oil based cakes are higher in volume, moister, and have a slightly coarser crumb when all purpose flour is used.

Oil based, all purpose flour chocolate cake. Note the coarser crumb
IMG_6985.jpeg

Oil based, bleached cake flour chiffon cake has a softer finer crumb than all purpose flour cake.
IMG_2014.jpeg

Reaction score
That chiffon cake looks really yummy. Did you make it?
Yes, I baked both cakes. Chiffon cake is my standard go-to cake. That cake was just a test cake to try an inlay Italian meringue buttercream decoration. After applying white buttercream, I chilled the cake. I then used cutters to cut out shapes in the buttercream, then filled in with colored buttercream.

Ask a Question