Time it takes to frost a cake

Reaction score
Hey baking fans,

I am new to baking and when I first started I had difficulty icing the cake rushing it and the icing would melt. For school I was given the opportunity to mathematically find the right temperature can be frosted at with out it melting. Now my frosting had milk, butter, thickened cream and icing sugar, and maybe if your ingredients are different time will be different, but let me know and I can get back to you with the right time. So, my cake was in a round 8.5 inch wide pan with a height of 2.5 inches, and I poured 3 and 2/3 cups of batter in and baked it at 150 fan forced for 52 minutes and it will take 3 hours 26 minutes and 40 seconds before you can frost it, and I have tried it and your icing won't melt. I also came up with a rule that for every extra metric cup of batter, you add from 3 2/3 cups, it is an extra 78 minutes and 55 seconds in a pan which is 8.5 inches wide. Hope I can help and let me know if I can do anything. Marcus

Reaction score
Hey baking fans,

I am new to baking and when I first started I had difficulty icing the cake rushing it and the icing would melt. For school I was given the opportunity to mathematically find the right temperature can be frosted at with out it melting. Now my frosting had milk, butter, thickened cream and icing sugar, and maybe if your ingredients are different time will be different, but let me know and I can get back to you with the right time. So, my cake was in a round 8.5 inch wide pan with a height of 2.5 inches, and I poured 3 and 2/3 cups of batter in and baked it at 150 fan forced for 52 minutes and it will take 3 hours 26 minutes and 40 seconds before you can frost it, and I have tried it and your icing won't melt. I also came up with a rule that for every extra metric cup of batter, you add from 3 2/3 cups, it is an extra 78 minutes and 55 seconds in a pan which is 8.5 inches wide. Hope I can help and let me know if I can do anything. Marcus

Cooling and settling a cake is not about icing melting. It’s about the cake structure stability.

A cake layer should be torted to ensure stability for a stacked cake. If layers are stacked whole, the weight and height of the cake layer is far greater in mass than the icing layer. This creates an imbalance of weight, resulting in heavy cake layers that can slip and slide.

When a cake and icing layers are of equal height, there is a more even distribution of weight. The icing is better able to hold the layers in place, creating a far more stable cake.

A warm cake is a weak cake; a cake must be properly cooled before torting to prevent the cake from cracking.

Also trapping excess moisture and heat in the cake by covering it in icing too soon can cause a gummy/sticky cake crumb and crust.

The other issue is de-gassing the cake. This is vitally important when using fondant. As a cake cools and settles, the excess air bubbles created during baking make their way out of the cake. The air will find the path of least resistance. If a cake is covered in icing before it’s been de-gassed, the air gets trapped under the icing. These bubbles are very visible when a stacked cake is filled, crumb coated and cover in fondant.

A baked a cake yesterday. It won’t be iced until today. That cooling time ensures the cake structure is sturdy, the crumb has properly settled, the layers are de-gassed.

Ask a Question