How to make a chocolate topping on the cake more soft.

Reaction score
I baked a cake, of course it was the chocolate one with fruit and cream inside. Everything was perfect except the chocolate topping on a cake was not as soft as it should be. I barely cut the cake with a knife. Any suggestions? How to make this chocolate on the top of the cake more soft? :///

Reaction score
I baked a cake, of course it was the chocolate one with fruit and cream inside. Everything was perfect except the chocolate topping on a cake was not as soft as it should be. I barely cut the cake with a knife. Any suggestions? How to make this chocolate on the top of the cake more soft? :///

If using a chocolate glaze, then it's required a couverture chocolate thinned with a neutral oil. The oil keeps the chocolate from setting hard.

If you are using ganche...

Two important aspects of ganache:
  1. Using Heavy cream, 35% milkfat. Regular cream does not have enough milkfat at around 30%.
  2. Using couverture chocolate
  3. The ratio of couverture chocolate to heavy cream to create the correct consistency for the application

Ganache ratios
Glaze: pourable 1:2
  • Chocolate 100%
  • Heavy cream 200%

Ganache for Filling: 1:1
  • Chocolate 100%
  • Heavy cream 100%

Whipped ganache (truffles, fillings, etc) 2:1
  • Chocolate 100%
  • Heavy cream 50%

Also, coating ganache or chocolate glaze should be poured in a thin layer. And any cake that is chilled should be set out for about 30 mins before slicing.

Reaction score
Ok, thank you for your advices. I was asking around and some women said they are also adding butter into chocolate?? and a bit of milk?? *Btw seems cool this chocolate recipe.

Yes I will definitely try to make a ganache in next few days because one of my really close friends has a bday.

Reaction score
If the chocolate topping on your cake turned out too firm, there are a few suggestions you can try to make it softer:

1. Adjust the chocolate-to-cream ratio: Increase the amount of cream used in the chocolate topping recipe. This will add more moisture and make the chocolate softer.

2. Incorporate butter: Adding a small amount of butter to the chocolate while melting it can help make it smoother and softer in texture.

3. Use a double boiler: When melting the chocolate, use a double boiler or a heatproof bowl placed over a pot of simmering water. This gentle heat will prevent the chocolate from overheating and becoming too firm.

4. Add a touch of oil: Incorporating a teaspoon of vegetable oil or a neutral-flavored oil into the melted chocolate can help make it more pliable and softer.

5. Adjust the cooling time: Allow the chocolate topping to cool at room temperature for a shorter period before spreading it over the cake. This can help maintain a softer consistency.

Remember to experiment with these suggestions in small batches to find the perfect balance for your desired texture. Enjoy your baking adventures!

Reaction score
To make the chocolate topping on your cake softer, you can try a few techniques. One option is to use a different type of chocolate that has a lower cocoa content. Dark chocolate with higher cocoa percentages tends to be harder when set. Opting for milk chocolate or a blend of milk and dark chocolate can result in a softer texture. Another method is to add a small amount of fat, such as butter or heavy cream, to the melted chocolate before spreading it on the cake. This can help create a smoother and softer consistency. Additionally, you can try gently heating the chocolate topping after it has set to soften it slightly. Be cautious not to overheat it, as chocolate can seize or become grainy. Experimenting with these techniques should help you achieve the desired softness for the chocolate topping on your cake.

Ask a Question