Cakes with no oven

Reaction score
I've spent 5 years with no oven - which sparked some challenges in my baking ambitions. Every birthday in the family - I've been attempting at constructing cakes without an oven.

I've so far attempted a 'pancake cake' with chocolate panache, stove-top cooked waffle cakes, steamed cakes.

Does anyone have any tips or recipes on making cakes without an oven?

Reaction score
Chocolate, raspberry and vanilla ice box cake

Ingredients

1 medium sponge flan case, edge removed (we used Edlers)
About 26 sponge fingers
350g chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
350g raspberry ice cream or sorbet, slightly softened
350g vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
Dark chocolate curls, to decorate

Method

1. Line a 16cm round springclip cake tin with baking parchment. Put the flan base in the middle and vertically line the sponge fingers around tin.
2. In a large bowl, whip the chocolate ice cream until smooth. Pour into the cake tin and spread with a spatula. Place in the freezer for about 10 mins or until slightly set.
3. Repeat with the raspberry and vanilla ice cream and store in the freezer for 4 hours until very firm.
4. Remove from the tin and leave for 10 mins before serving. Decorate with chocolate curls.

Chocolate-raspberry-and-vanilla-ice-box-cake.jpg

Reaction score
Yes, there are quite a few options out there for creating cakes without the use of an oven. Here is a recipe for a birthday cheesecake

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 c. heavy cream
  • 12 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1 c. birthday cake mix
  • 1 graham cracker pie crust, store-bought or homemade
  • Rainbow sprinkles, for decorating
Simply whip the cream until peaks form and fold in the cake mix and sugar separately. Afterwards, you may refrigerate it for 6 hours or until firm. There are also cute mug cakes you can make. I know many recipes are out there. Simply get a cute mug and pour in the batter which will rise quite nicely in the microwave. You can then make a nice icing to top it off. It's a cute idea and everyone gets a their own serving!

Reaction score
@ChesterV Your recipe looks really sumptuous and easy to prepare. :) I've tried doing refrigerated cakes before using graham crackers and your recipe gave me an idea on what I could make for my husband's birthday next month.

Reaction score
We cook pancake in the pan. And that is the only cake I could brag about during my younger years. But when I started working, I remember making that first refrigerator cake with biscuit as the primary ingredient. It was so successful that my brothers were asking for an encore. The topping was fruit cocktail that has cream for the amalgam. Now, here is the problem. I have forgotten how to do it, just forgot the recipe since it was in my younger years when I invented it.

Reaction score
Chocolate, raspberry and vanilla ice box cake

Ingredients

1 medium sponge flan case, edge removed (we used Edlers)
About 26 sponge fingers
350g chocolate ice cream, slightly softened
350g raspberry ice cream or sorbet, slightly softened
350g vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
Dark chocolate curls, to decorate

Method

1. Line a 16cm round springclip cake tin with baking parchment. Put the flan base in the middle and vertically line the sponge fingers around tin.
2. In a large bowl, whip the chocolate ice cream until smooth. Pour into the cake tin and spread with a spatula. Place in the freezer for about 10 mins or until slightly set.
3. Repeat with the raspberry and vanilla ice cream and store in the freezer for 4 hours until very firm.
4. Remove from the tin and leave for 10 mins before serving. Decorate with chocolate curls.

Chocolate-raspberry-and-vanilla-ice-box-cake.jpg

This recipe is interesting :) The ingredients are simple and is easy to find and one thing I love sponge finger biscuits.

I am also making use of this kind of biscuit for making my pineapple ice box cake. But I am not making use of ice cream for the cream mixture. And I am arranging the biscuits by layering with the cream mixture in between the biscuits in a rectangular pyrex. I do make my own cream mixture which consist of condensed milk, whipped cream, crushed pineapple in sweet syrup ( drain first the syrup before adding to the mixture) and I put crushed pineapple too and cashew nuts for my toppings. :)

Reaction score
Funny, but I've never actually used my oven to prepare pancakes. I've always used a flat pan for this purpose. For baking without ovens, my best bets are refrigerated cakes. I've tried an alternating layers of Graham crackers and mango or fruit cocktails with condensed milk and cream. I just put them in the freezer and wait for 3 to 4 hours before serving. Kids love them.

Ask a Question