Canning Pumpkin and Squash

Reaction score
Heading into making butternut squash butter I read you can't can pumpkin and squash. Has anyone ever done it and what worked for you?

Reaction score
The vegetable canning companies will have to disagree with you on that, as they sell tons of canned pumpkin and squash a year.

There are ways to make homemade. My granny used to can at home, and I know that trying to can homemade pumpkin or squash is very tricky. For some reason the water separates from the veggies during the process, so they end up either being mush or super watery.

Canning "experts" warn that canning such veggies is dangerous because the canning process does not "cook" the veggie all the way through, and can cause bacteria to grow inside the jar.

I would suggest, if you are canning cut veggies of this kind, then look at freezing them in airtight baggies.

As for making squash butter of any kind, the same issue seems to occur....during the canning process, the water will separate from the veggie, creating a more watery substance. If you want to make this kind of "butter", then it is best to make it fresh and then use it or make it and seal it in airtight freezer bags and then freeze it till needed.

Reaction score
I was thinking containers in the freezer but I think the freezer bags sound better. Yea, I read botulism is the problem, too bad I love to can, great tomato butter and something really great, bell pepper butter, my own recipe, grand. Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
I was thinking containers in the freezer but I think the freezer bags sound better. Yea, I read botulism is the problem, too bad I love to can, great tomato butter and something really great, bell pepper butter, my own recipe, grand. Thanks for your input.

If you want to make "butter" the home canning way, then I might suggest cutting up the pumpkin rind into chunks and baking it. Once it's baked through, then it should be ok for use in canning.
I can't say to the effects of how the "butter" will turn out though. But if you are willing to experiment..........it might be worth looking in to.

Ask a Question