Chocolate chip cookies texture off

Reaction score
I followed the recipe below but I replaced half the regular sugar with honey... In other cookie recipes I haven't had a problem with this but this recipe the cookies came out with this bite to them that you would find with soft caramel. I know the recipe says "Chewy" but I wasn't expecting this kind of chewy... Is this normal? Or do I need to change something based on using the Honey?

Reaction score
I followed the recipe below but I replaced half the regular sugar with honey... In other cookie recipes I haven't had a problem with this but this recipe the cookies came out with this bite to them that you would find with soft caramel. I know the recipe says "Chewy" but I wasn't expecting this kind of chewy... Is this normal? Or do I need to change something based on using the Honey?

Honey is an invert sugar which is a single monosaccharide molecule, and water.

Granulated sugar are double disaccharide molecules. It has no water molecules.

Invert sugars chemically react differently in baking in part because of the water molecules. The extra moisture interacts with the flour, making for a chewy cookie.

i’m surprised you don’t notice a difference in other cookies when substituting some of the sugar with honey.

Reaction score

Hi! Usually, the sugar in Chocolate chip cookies is equal portions. In this recipe there is more brown sugar than granulated sugar which would already give it a chewier texture. That is what brown sugar does. So, by adding honey you have added more moisture which added to the different chewy texture. Although they still sound interesting with the honey flavor to it! This is only my idea on what may have happened. But with all the chocolate you can't go wrong! Take care, Elle.

Reaction score
Honey is an invert sugar which is a single monosaccharide molecule, and water.

Granulated sugar are double disaccharide molecules. It has no water molecules.

Invert sugars chemically react differently in baking in part because of the water molecules. The extra moisture interacts with the flour, making for a chewy cookie.

i’m surprised you don’t notice a difference in other cookies when substituting some of the sugar with honey.
I thought as much when using honey as I've had similar results when swapping honey into my cookie recipes -- extra chewiness. My next question is about crystalized honey? Would you be able to solve the moisture problem by using crystalized honey? If so, could a dehydrator be used or would simply freezing the honey achieve the desired dryness to sub into the recipe?

Ask a Question