Chocolate coating disaster

Reaction score
The other day I went to make white chocolate dipped cookies and did not want to spend the money on expensive almond bark and so I bought white chocolate chips instead and saved a couple of dollars thinking I could just melt them down. I swore I heard on TV that you were supposed to add a little corn syrup during the melting process to make the melted chocolate a little more runny. I did this and ended up with a crystallized mess. What did I do wrong?

Reaction score
Well, from my experience I can tell you the quality of the main ingredient is everything, so with that in mind my guess is that the chocolate chips weren't of the best quality, at least not for this kind of process or maybe you added more corn syrup than needed. Most of the time when a recipe calls for x amount of y ingredient I end up needing less.

Reaction score
Well, from my experience I can tell you the quality of the main ingredient is everything, so with that in mind my guess is that the chocolate chips weren't of the best quality, at least not for this kind of process or maybe you added more corn syrup than needed. Most of the time when a recipe calls for x amount of y ingredient I end up needing less.
less is more ;)

Reaction score
The other day I went to make white chocolate dipped cookies and did not want to spend the money on expensive almond bark and so I bought white chocolate chips instead and saved a couple of dollars thinking I could just melt them down. I swore I heard on TV that you were supposed to add a little corn syrup during the melting process to make the melted chocolate a little more runny. I did this and ended up with a crystallized mess. What did I do wrong?

Tina Nord, I am so sorry to hear about the disaster and the sad part is that I can't even offer a suggestion. I actually went looking online to see if I could find an answer but so far nothing. I have a lot of confidence in Trellum;) and right now her logic seems to make sense from a newbies point of view. I am optimistic that the next effort will be perfect.

Reaction score
less is more ;)

That is right, Anya =D Actually I've found this to be so true even for cooking, I use to throw a lot of the stuff I liked most in some recipes, needless to say things didn't turn out so well, and I kept wondering why, lol. Well, now I use less of everything and voila! I get way nicer flavors :) It's all about balancing things out, amazing but true. You are very wise young lady :)

Reaction score
I will try to use oil next time. I was trying to save some money, but ended up having to throw out the $2.50 I spent on the chips. I really hate when things go to waste like that. Lesson learned I suppose.

Reaction score
That is right, Anya =D Actually I've found this to be so true even for cooking, I use to throw a lot of the stuff I liked most in some recipes, needless to say things didn't turn out so well, and I kept wondering why, lol. Well, now I use less of everything and voila! I get way nicer flavors :) It's all about balancing things out, amazing but true. You are very wise young lady :)
eeheeeheeeeheee :3 :3

Ask a Question