chocolate for baking

Reaction score
I was wondering what is the best type of chocolate to use for baking? I mean when it comes down to cookies, brownies and other things of that nature. What is the best chocolate to use for baking these things?

Reaction score
One of my favorites for baking is Ghirardelli baking chocolate. This cholates melt smoothly and does not require much tempering. It also has a nice rich flavor. This is quality brand that I find consistent.

Reaction score
I vote for Ghirardelli too. It just has that something extra. My husband can tell if I use nestles or hersheys if I make chocolate chips cookies with them instead of Ghirardelli. I'm a chocoholic but even I don't know that I'd notice that if someone else made them.

Reaction score
I also like Ghiradelli and they have different types of chocolate. I would not recommend using the milk chocolate chips when making chocolate chip cookies though as the flavor is too mild. For chocolate chip cookies stick with a semi-sweet chocolate. I like the little bite that you get from the semi-sweet variety.

Reaction score
It is really hard to find Ghirardelli baking chocolate here in Bulgaria. I tried it once when my sister sent me some from Germany and it can't be compared. Yesterday I made brownies and I used some Greek baking chocolate, but the taste is not the same. ;(

Reaction score
According to me any would do. I mean for preparing cookies and brownies, why do you need a specific kind of chocolate? I use slabs of any chocolate. Hesheys, M&M's, or Snickers. They all come out great. Cooking is not about using the right products but making mouthwatering dishes with whatever ingredients you have.

Reaction score
Although Ghiradelli is popular, I would suggest checking out places like Target, CVS and even Family Dollar. They all have a variety of dark chocolate bars now similar to the big brands, but at much lower prices. This is especially nice when you are using them for baking, since you are not wasting the expensive chocolate that would be better eaten on its own, instead of mixing it into a cookie dough.

Ask a Question