Competitive cooking?

Reaction score
So, the post about cooking shows got me thinking, beyond just watching them, would you ever considering being on a cooking show? Or even just entering into a cooking or recipe competition? Do you like the competitive aspect of things or would that take away from the fun of it for you?

I'm a very competitive person and I think it would be great fun to try something like that- maybe something like chopped where you never know what crazy ingredients they'll throw your way. The prize incentive doesn't hurt, either ;).

Reaction score
Uhm, not sure that would work out for me. If the prize was big enough (cash) and it was in my possibility to participate then yeah. But I'm not sure I'd be comfortable cooking new things I'm not familiar with tho. Those cooking shows where the cooks are asked to cook something new depending on the theme... Not sure I'd stand that kind of pressure :oops:

Reaction score
Yeah I get what you mean- I'd be nervous, but at the same time it could be fun. Some of them it's more or less sticking with what you know, too, like a lot of the baking ones in particular you can pick what you're doing...so you just pick what you think you do best a lot of the time unless you're feeling like taking big risks.

Reaction score
I'm not a natural cook. My food turns out well because I read carefully and follow the directions exactly. If I was on a cooking show where I had to improvise using the ingredients in a mystery box, I would be totally lost.

Reaction score
Not even a baking one, you don't suppose? It seems like a lot of them let you rely on your own recipes and such, so it's not so much an element of surprise as just dealing with a competitive setting. I'm always curious what other people think about that sort of thing ;).

Reaction score
I don't think I would like that much. Competition often takes the fun out of things. I have seen too many people end up "fighting " when it comes to competitions. I would much rather stay on the sidelines and watch or judge.

If you folks are in the competition it's going to be hard to be impartial in my judging.;)

Ask a Question