Copycat Hostess Twinkies

Reaction score
I love home baked desserts, but I still have a soft spot for pre-packaged sweets that I'd have as an occasional treat in childhood. I think they just bring back the innocence of youth, and the anticipation of the sweet goodness. We had homemade desserts a lot more than pre-packaged, so I guess the rarity made them seem special.

Nowadays, I value homemade much more than pre-packaged, of course, but I still get the occasional craving for a Twinkie or other manufactured sweet. I came across this copycat Twinkie recipe yesterday, and thought i'd share. I have never used the recipe, but these look fairly easy to make, and the ingredients are ones found in most kitchens. http://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-hostess-twinkies-340904 They also have other copycat recipes on the site, so if Twinkies aren't your favorite, take a look around, and you might just find one that piques your interest.

homemade twinkies.jpg

Reaction score
That looks more like the Butter Cups I used to buy!!!
Butter flavored cupcakes and butter flavored frosting!

3611765287_fc67c141d5.jpg

I also like the orange ones.......
121116061650-gallery-hostess-orange-cupcakes-jc-gallery-horizontal.jpg

Reaction score
I totally agree with you about these giving that feeling of youth - they're a bit of a comfort food for me, because they do just remind me of those carefree days!

I never thought about making my own though - that's an awesome idea! And no doubt a ton better for me than the prepackaged ones!

Reaction score
I've never heard of Butter cups aka buttery cupcakes. I'd probably like them, although for some reason the name isn't attracting me. I do love buttercream frosting, though, so I don't know what the issue is there. Yes, @cupcakechef I think doing without the preservatives would be healthier, and who knows what else is actually in the pre-packaged ones, but they sure do tickle my tastebuds!

Reaction score
Speaking of Hostess Twinkies, have you tried the chocolate covered variety? They are to die for, so freaking yummy. I would love to make my own Twinkies but it would be hard to mimic the fluffy frosting. My guess is there is a lot of egg whites in it. Krispy Kreme has a cream filled donut that mimics the frosting perfectly.

Reaction score
Speaking of Hostess Twinkies, have you tried the chocolate covered variety? They are to die for, so freaking yummy. I would love to make my own Twinkies but it would be hard to mimic the fluffy frosting. My guess is there is a lot of egg whites in it. Krispy Kreme has a cream filled donut that mimics the frosting perfectly.

Yes, the Chocodile Twinkies are my absolute favorite. Perhaps at some point, if I try and master this recipe, I'll see about creating some with the chocolate coating. I've only been to Krispy kreme a few times. There isn't one nearby, but if I go past one at some point, I'll have to remember to try those. I really enjoy Boston Cream types of concoctions, and those sound as if they might be along that line. I think it must be the combination of flavors I enjoy. The fluffy donut/pastry, cream or custard filling, and then the addition of chocolate are just heavenly.

Reaction score
Oh, isn't that just neat? I didn't know there were copycat recipes for this type of thing. I can usually walk away from Twinkies and stuff any more, because I swear I can taste the chemicals in them. To have "good" Twinkie style cakes made at home sounds great though. Covered in chocolate too? How could that be bad? ;)

Reaction score
Yes, I think I'd prefer the homemade, so I would know what went into them, and also there are probably ways to substitute healthier ingredients, or avoid allergens. It might be interesting to try making them and coat them in dark chocolate, which is supposed to be healthier, or some might prefer a white chocolate coating.

Reaction score
Well I always love to find some items and try to make my own at homes and see how I can stack up. These are pretty good, too, and I have not really had them for some time now so this might be a good way to get back into that a little bit. I bet I can get pretty close, but not as close as I have gotten at Rice Krispies Treats...I've got those down.

Ask a Question