1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled

For the glaze:1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
3 ½ cups powdered sugar
4 Tbsp light corn syrup
6 Tbsp milk

Directions:
1. Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together. Set aside.

2. Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.

Add the egg and vanilla; beating until combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl as necessary.

Beat in the melted chocolate.

Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, beating on low after each addition. Beat just until the dough comes together.

Pat into 2 discs, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

Roll the dough on a surface lightly coated with a mixture of flour and cocoa to about a ¼" thick. Cut with a 2" round cookie cutter.

Place the cut-outs on a prepared baking sheet and place in the freezer for 5-10 min. (This will prevent spreading.)

Bake the cookies for about 9 minutes, or until done.

Remove to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

For the glaze:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the cocoa powder and powdered sugar together.

2. Add the corn syrup and milk, whisking until smooth.

3. The glaze will be very thick, but still pourable. Transfer to a piping bag, fitted with a #12 tip, or to a zip-top bag and snip the corner.

4. Pipe the glaze in a circle onto the cookies. The glaze will spread, so don't go too close to the edges. If some spills over the edge, it's ok.

5. Let the cookies dry for at least one hour before adding the white squiggle.

Options for the white squiggle (both applied with a #4 icing tip):
1. If you'll be packaging and stacking the cookies, hard-drying royal icing is a good bet.

2. Or, pipe a squiggle using marshmallow creme.
Serves: 40

Reaction score
These cookies look adorable. I love this idea. Thank you for sharing the recipe. This looks easy enough that I'll actually try it.

Reaction score
Ha! They look cool. I was expecting that Hostess cupcakes would be used in the recipe. :p

Is there something special about using the "Dutch-processed" cocoa powder?

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! These look so cute. Is that your picture of how they came out? I want to try this, but I'm worried they won't come out looking so cute!

Reaction score
Those are some of the cutest things I've ever seen! They look like they'd taste great and be really rich. The vanilla frosting is probably what gives it balance so that the chocolate taste isn't too overwhelming to eat. It looks like a great recipe, not to mention the fact that it's adorable. I definitely will try it.

Reaction score
This is perfect. I was invited to a "welcome back Hostess party. I want to go, but I didn't actually want to bring Hostess since everyone is going to be bringing that. I always think homemade is better anyway. These are really cute.

Reaction score
I love hostess cupcakes, I am so glad they are back! These are absolutely adorable re-envisioned versions of a good thing! Would we call that the hostess cupcake reconstructed?

Ask a Question