DIY Frost Form: Cake Ring and Acetate Hack

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Frost Form which helps in getting a smooth coat of frosting or ganache on cakes? It is pretty expensive, but I am sure it is worth it for what I have seen that it can do. I just cannot buy one right now. I was wondering if it would be possible to DIY one? It occurred to me that I could use a cake ring and some acetate. The only thing I am not sure about is the plastic "bowl" that you set the cake down in. Has anyone tried to make their own?

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Frost Form which helps in getting a smooth coat of frosting or ganache on cakes? It is pretty expensive, but I am sure it is worth it for what I have seen that it can do. I just cannot buy one right now. I was wondering if it would be possible to DIY one? It occurred to me that I could use a cake ring and some acetate. The only thing I am not sure about is the plastic "bowl" that you set the cake down in. Has anyone tried to make their own?

Cheaper to buy acrylic icing discs. These days there are a lot companies selling them. I have Cakesafe brand.

I laughed when I watched the video on stacking cakes. Pastry chefs have forever used any old cake rings and acetate cake collars to stack cakes. I have rolls of cake colars from 2” to 8” wide.

Examples of cake collars

Examples of cake rings

Reaction score
Cheaper to buy acrylic icing discs. These days there are a lot companies selling them. I have Cakesafe brand.

I laughed when I watched the video on stacking cakes. Pastry chefs have forever used any old cake rings and acetate cake collars to stack cakes. I have rolls of cake colars from 2” to 8” wide.

Examples of cake collars

Examples of cake rings

Thank you so much! I will check those out.

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I will check those out.

Have you tried this yet? I'm just wondering if it will leak out the bottom or if you were able to get a tight enough fit with the acrylic disk, cake ring, and acetate collar?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Have you tried this yet? I'm just wondering if it will leak out the bottom or if you were able to get a tight enough fit with the acrylic disk, cake ring, and acetate collar?

Thanks!
I have not yet. I have so many things on my to do list that I want to bake and decorate that I have not gotten to it. I will report back when I do. I wish I had time to do all I want to do.

Reaction score

Thanks!

It doesn't leak. I regularly use method; it's also used/taught in pastry classes.

How to stack a cake using a cake ring and acetate collar

• 2 torted cake layers*
  • Icing (enough to dam cake layers (additional if filling with icing)
  • Filling (if filling with something other than icing)
  • Cake ring
  • Acetate cake collar 4” wide
  • Cake board
  • Pastry bag (2 if using filling)
  • 1/2” piping tip** (2 if using filling)
  • Offset spatula
  • Metal food-safe ruler longer than cake diameter

Fit the piping tip(s) into the pastry bag(s); fill 3/4 full with icing/filling

Place the cake board inside the ring

Place the acetate cake collar inside the ring

Pipe a small blob of icing on the center of the cake board to hold the cake layer

Center a cake layer inside acetate lined cake ring on the icing blob.

Pipe a 1/2” diameter dam of icing on the outside edge of the cake layer. A dam of icing is required regardless of filling type. Failure to dam will result in filling oozing out between layers after collar is removed and cake settles (see additional note below).

If filling with icing, continue to pipe icing in rings inside the dam

If using filling, pipe 1/2” diameter rings of filling inside the dam.

Place a second cake layer on top of the filling

Repeat: pipe dam, then fill the inside of the dam.

After piping icing on the top layer, smooth with the offset spatula.

Hold the metal ruler on edge and pull across the top of the cake using the acetate cake collar as an edge guide to create a sharp clean edge and a smooth even top.

Chill cake.

Remove the cake ring and collar.

Ice sides.

*Cake layers should be forced to create a more uniform and balanced look
when cake slice is plated.

**1/2” piping tip is the ideal diameter for the thickness of filling between layers. Piping the icing/filling also creates a more uniform layer of filling.

Additional note: if covering stacked cake with fondant, stacked cake should be de-gassed overnight before applying fondant. Failure to de-gas will result in air bubbles forming under fondant.

Ask a Question