Do I need to chill my pie dough before rolling?

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new. I'm sorry if I am posting this in the wrong forum.

I have a quick question about blind baking and dough, I know as a rule it is important to chill your dough for 1 hour before rolling.

But can I just make, roll, place in pie plate, and then chill for one hour? Or is both chilling stages necessary?

For example, my recipe says I should make the dough then chill for 1 hour. Afterwards I take out the dough, make my crust, place in pie dish...and chill again for another hour. Can I just do one chill phase?

Reaction score
You can, but it could make the crust tough and hard to eat.

The cooling off period is not only so the dough is more manageable without it breaking or tearing on your while rolling it out, it is also to keep it from being overworked.

But like most things regarding the making the of doughs and breads, even crusts.......there are short cuts.

I don't think my granny ever put her pie crust dough in the fridge. She made it, rolled it out and put it in the pie plate all in one go. And her crusts always turned out fine.

All I can say is, give it a try. If it works for you, fine.....if not, then you know what not to do next time.

Reaction score
I don't think my granny ever put her pie crust dough in the fridge. She made it, rolled it out and put it in the pie plate all in one go. And her crusts always turned out fine.

Did she chill it for a certain amount of time after she placed the crust in the pan? Or did she just make, roll, place in pan, and bake all in one go?

Thank you so much for your help.

Reaction score
Did she chill it for a certain amount of time after she placed the crust in the pan? Or did she just make, roll, place in pan, and bake all in one go?

Thank you so much for your help.

I don't think she ever chilled it.
But of course, it went straight into the oven once she had it in the pie plate, so it didn't have time to sit around and get tough or anything.

Ask a Question