Do you bake by hand or machine?

Reaction score
The only gadget I really use is a ninja to chop stuff up and an electronic whisker. Everything else is pretty much prepared by hand. I don't like to use too much equipment because I never fancy the idea of having to clean it all up afterwards.

Reaction score
I bake the old fashioned way too, with a whisk and my favorite utensil... my spatula. That thing is great and I wouldn't imagine baking without it. I'd rather be using a spatula than an electric whisk or a mixer.

Reaction score
The old fashion way just like my granny did:) my muffin pans and bread pans i got from my granny and they still work just fine! I must say i would love to try the new cillicone stuff, for mixing i still use my whisk and spatula!!! ;)

Reaction score
I have to bake the old fashioned way. The most modern thing in my kitchen is the stove! I'd love to get an electric mixer, though. Have you ever tried beating egg whites to a stiff peak with only a hand whisk? That is a feat of endurance and pain I wish upon no one.

Reaction score
I like to make bread by hand and knead the dough. It actually bugs me a little that so many recipes are for bread machines and I wish they showed a second option for people who make bread by hand.

Reaction score
I only use the mixer if the recipe calls for whipping eggs, or whipping egg whites, or for anything that calls for volume, actually. For most recipes that call for room temperature butter, or cream cheese, I just rely on a handy wire whisk, a wooden spoon, and a spatula.

Reaction score
I love my stand mixer for most things but with bread I do half mixer, half hand knead.

Reaction score
I really like using a mixer for mixing up batters for a cake or even for pancakes. Right now, I just do it with a spoon, or the whisk if it is small , because I no longer have a mixer, but I think things come out much better when you can use a mixer and get everything well mixed.

Reaction score
I was wondering how many people make cakes the old fashioned way with a spoon/hand whisk etc or use a mixer? I use a wooden spoon at the moment for most bakes (very old fashioned I know!), partly because it's the way I was taught as I was growing up, and partly because I have never been able to afford a decent mixer!

For those who use both, does it make any difference to the actual cakes themselves? Or is it just labour saving?

I use both. There's nothing better than an electric mixer for beating egg whites; especially as my hands get more arthritic. However, I have been using a Kitchen Aid for years and love it. I don't see the sense of working harder when I can work smarter.
That being said, when making bread by hand, I will use the attachment at the beginning of the process but finish it by hand. In all, I don't find any difference between either method in the taste or texture. The only difference is the extent of time and labor.

Reaction score
The only piece of electronic equipment I use is a a hand-held electric whisk. We've got a Kenwood mixer at home which my mum uses a lot, but I just can't be bothered with assembling and dismantling things to clean them, not to mention the time spent trying to figure how to use the thing! Baking by hand feels so much easier to me.

Reaction score
So far I mix everything by hand with a wooden spoon. Though, I do have hand mixer that hasn't seen the light of day in a long time. I also received a KitchenAid stand mixer as a gift from my dad that I look forward to trying when I move into my new place. I don't have any counter space to use it know. Those looking for KitchenAid stand mixers check rummage sales and craigslist. My dad found the one he gave me at a rummage sale for $75 and it's in great shape.

Reaction score
I do everything by hand, and it's worked well for me making cookies, cakes and icing. But I've been hesitant to make anything with whipped cream or whipped egg whites (eg meringues) and I don't know if I'll be able to do it by hand without getting tired and making a mess! Does anyone have any tricks for whipping egg whites or cream by hand?

Reaction score
I have been trying to buy a nice mixer like a Kitchen Aid for awhile, but something else always "eats" the money first. I use a combination of stirring by hand, an electric hand mixer, and a bread machine for bread. Even when I eventually get the nice stand mixer I want, I think I will still hand stir some things. Some batters and dough could be overworked with an electric mixer.

Reaction score
I tend to do things by hand.

Partly because I'm stubborn that way and partly because like VioletSkye I also hate washing things like machines and kitchen devices, they always have finicky bits and have to be taken apart and ugh, I can't be bothered :)

Reaction score
I'm not weak and can handle the mixing by hand, but I hate doing it because I know I could easily have it come out better if I had a stand mixer. I've been meaning to get one, but I've been reluctant to get one since I already have way too many appliances. Plus I didn't want to be tempted to be eating too many bread products, as I would probably be making pizza and calzones every night if I got one.

I tried a few bread making machines in the past but was really disappointed in the quality of the bread they created. It was always way too dense and heavy.

Reaction score
I was wondering how many people make cakes the old fashioned way with a spoon/hand whisk etc or use a mixer? I use a wooden spoon at the moment for most bakes (very old fashioned I know!), partly because it's the way I was taught as I was growing up, and partly because I have never been able to afford a decent mixer!

For those who use both, does it make any difference to the actual cakes themselves? Or is it just labour saving?
I have a Kitchenaid stand mixer and bread machine and I love that I have both. I still mix by hand sometimes though but it is so nice to be able to do other things while baking like take care of my 11 month old :)

Reaction score
There have been very few times I've used a mixer. I'm a from scratch, by hand, sweat and tears kinda girl :) I do love my mixer though.. it was my grandmothers and I'll never replace it.

Reaction score
I always do mine by hand and or wooden spoon,depending on what im cooking. I have an electric hand mixer but very rarely use it-dont think it makes much difference to outcome of cakes though. Bread is much nicer hand kneaded than bread machine,my daughter bought us one for wedding present and I did use it,but the texture is different I found-and the shape it came out too!

Reaction score
I have an electric mixer. The electric mixer is the only machine I use. This is my favorite equipment in the kitchen. I use it to mix all of the ingredients.

Reaction score
I bake by hand unfortunately. I would love to have an electric mixer, but I don't have enough money for one. And I feel like my money would go to waste because I barely bake, but when I do I feel like my cakes would come out better with a mixer, and if I had a mixer i would probably be able to make my. Own icing which probably Dave me some money also. I hope one day I actually buy a mixer.

Ask a Question