Do You Ever Get Burnt Out?

Reaction score
So, we all obviously love baking -- otherwise, we wouldn't be here. Many of us, myself included, also love to cook savory dishes. But, do you ever find yourself getting burnt out and not being in the mood to bake? I do sometimes, although it generally passes in a couple of days. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one...

Reaction score
You're not the only one! I get the same way, and usually I'm ready to bake again in a few days. This happens more often during the holidays for me it seems like.

Reaction score
Yeah, me too! On normal days, I want to bake constantly. When I know I need to bake for the holidays or a baby shower or something, though, those are always the days when I'm tooooo lazy lol.

Reaction score
Knowing that you HAVE to bake kind of takes the fun out of it, haha. I usually limit myself to doing prep-work when I feel too lazy; sometimes, that's enough to knock me back into baking spirits. If not, then hey, there's always tomorrow ;)

Reaction score
I'm glad I'm not the only one, lol. I do try to do prep work ahead of time when I can -- I do that with both baking and cooking.

Reaction score
When I get cooking burn out I like to try a new recipe, but I make sure it is easy with not a lot of clean up. I try to find recipe's with as few ingredients as possible and see what I can do. Sometimes I am too lazy to pull the cookbook out and just try to see what I can make on my own. I'm not very good add it, but have mastered a few things by heart.

Reaction score
In addition to that, I do sometimes purchase baked goods. But usually, I am disappointed in the outcome.

Reaction score
I don't exactly get burned out when it comes to baking because I only bake when I am in the mood or when I have a serious craving for something sweet! I do have my lazy days though when I feel like I am required to bake, so yeah, that takes the fun out of baking.

Reaction score
You are not the only one, I get burnt out from wanting to bake and usually just end up buying something that I would make. If you too much of any one thing, regardless of it being a hobby you are going to get burnt out from it.

Reaction score
I get burned out on cooking certain types of foods. For example, for a while, I was on a cornbread kick. I enjoy making mine from scratch with Alber's Yellow Cornmeal. However, after a while, that'll get old. So, then I'll switch to making muffins or something else.

Reaction score
I can't claim any level of culinary artistry, but when it comes to cooking I do feel very much as if I have an artistic temperament. Sometimes, I think of the great way that some ingredients can come together and I have to make it happen... and others times... "Sorry everyone, just making instant noodles and a sandwich for myself, so make your own dinner." (I used to live with roommates, and cook for them when "inspired").

When it comes to baking especially, I'm not usually making something that everyone must eat or else they'd go hungry or something... I'm usually baking something that would be nice to have and try and snack on, so...burnout shouldn't be too much of a problem, I just don't bake for a while.

Reaction score
I usually go through this phase whenever it is christmas time as there is just always so much different dishes to bake ; this time of the year i am usually drained and exhausted.

Reaction score
I always get burnt out after doing all of the holiday baking. I do not want to look at flour or a recipe card for a while. My burnt-out-ness is usually gone after about a month or so, and I am ready to start making Valentine's Day and Easter cookies thereafter. During the summer, I do not do a whole lot of baking, with the heat and all, so I begin to miss it after a while and start baking once again.

Reaction score
I get burnt out too! Cooking and baking. I do enjoy baking more than cooking though. I think it must be because I do all the cooking
every day in our house. Sometimes I just don't want to do it! Of course I have been known to tell everyone that it is cereal night - or that
we are going out to eat!!! LOL
Baking I usually only do when I want to - so burn out isn't too bad. But I will go in spurts and have lots of baked goods handy at once
and then I don't feel like baking again for a while!
You are not alone! ;)

Reaction score
I go through time periods when I'm not in the mood to bake, but they don't last long. When I crave something like cookies badly enough, I go back to baking,

Reaction score
I admittedly do. Usually it follows the arrival of the electric bill... Baking really costs a lot of money when you think about it. I try to do all the baking I can at one time and freeze things so that I only have to heat up the oven once a month or so. I really hate doing it right now because money is so tight that even when I think how badly I want to eat something, I've been backing out because I just don't want to turn that thing on.

Reaction score
So, we all obviously love baking -- otherwise, we wouldn't be here. Many of us, myself included, also love to cook savory dishes. But, do you ever find yourself getting burnt out and not being in the mood to bake? I do sometimes, although it generally passes in a couple of days. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one...

I saw this and wondered if there was some double meaning. I saw burnt and immediately thought "burnt up" cake or something like that:).

I don't bake a lot, but I cook a lot and "YES' I suffer burn out quite often of late. In my case it probably has something to do with me getting "younger" and a busy work schedule. I want to do much more baking especially since I am in this forum but I worry that a busy season will leave me really and truly burnt out.

Ask a Question