Do You Still Use Your Wooden Rolling Pin?

Reaction score
I think the title says it all really, do you have a rolling pin? Do you still use your rolling pin? And is it wooden?

Reaction score
I have a wooden rolling pin that has been sitting in the cupboard for years. If it was made of metal it would probably be full of rust. Wouldn't it be lovely to do something that requires me using it? Maybe some pastries which I am yet to try. Actually I will go look some recipes up right now.

Reaction score
I have a silicone rolling pin - but I have only used it a handful of times, usually when I am rolling out fondant for cupcake decorations. Quite frankly I don't use it much at all, but it's one of those items that if I didn't have it I would be needing it all the time. Isn't that always the way with so many things in life? When you have it, you rarely use it - but if you don't have it, you feel like you have a need for it all the time!
I guess thinking about the fact that my rolling pin hardly ever gets used is giving me some motivation to get it out and use it for a project!

Reaction score
I have a silicone rolling pin - but I have only used it a handful of times, usually when I am rolling out fondant for cupcake decorations. Quite frankly I don't use it much at all, but it's one of those items that if I didn't have it I would be needing it all the time. Isn't that always the way with so many things in life? When you have it, you rarely use it - but if you don't have it, you feel like you have a need for it all the time!
I guess thinking about the fact that my rolling pin hardly ever gets used is giving me some motivation to get it out and use it for a project!

I can so relate to everything you have said. Since I came upon this thread I have been looking for that one special SIMPLE thing to make using my rolling pin. I have found simple but not interesting yet so I will continue to search. I remember in another thread speaking about ways my mom rolled stuff using bottles and the like way back when.

The forum causes us to use those long lost things and I that's a good thing I imagine.

Reaction score
I'm surprised that people don't use their rolling pins that often.
Mine is in regular use either rolling out pastry (homemade or shop bought blocks) or rolling out the dough when I make scones which is almost weekly. I can't imagine not having one to hand. It is used at least once a week. It is only bread that I don't use it for, mind you having said that I have just realised I do use it when I make chapatti and naan at home.

Reaction score
I've wooden one and I love it. I have heard about the silicone ones, but I don't think I'll be giving those a try anytime soon, I just don't trust anything made with that material, specially if it was made in China. And let's face it... nowadays almost everything was made in China.

Reaction score
I had a plastic one. I got it as a gift at one of those parties people throw to sell you kitchen stuff. I hated it.

My daughter laughed at me using it once, and then she bought me a wooden one for Christmas. <3

Reaction score
I have a wooden one that I use for pastry and sometimes to crush things like corn flakes to make a crunchy topping for something. I've never heard of the silicone or plastic ones. Until I got the wooden one, I used a very tall glass tumbler to roll things out - worked like a charm!

Reaction score
I was given a roling pin. I have only used it a few times and not at all in the last several years. I HATE rolling cookies, so time consuming it's not even worth it. I think I really only used it for pie crust, but since going gluten free I have not baked more than 2 traditional deserts, so I no longer use it.

Reaction score
I was given a roling pin. I have only used it a few times and not at all in the last several years. I HATE rolling cookies, so time consuming it's not even worth it. I think I really only used it for pie crust, but since going gluten free I have not baked more than 2 traditional deserts, so I no longer use it.

I don't actually use mine all that much either. We do like to have all the kids here and do a homemade pizza party every so often. I use mine mostly for the pizza dough. I'm not fancy enough to throw it in the air. haha.

Reaction score
I had a rolling pin and it is wooden. But I use it sometimes only when a baking recipe requires the use of this baking stuff. Sad to say it is always inside our kitchen shelves and I only get it out when needed.

Ask a Question