Electric Whisk vs Food Processor for Baking

Reaction score
I'm getting more serious about the baking that I am doing which means that I am moving to more make-from-scratch type recipes. While I have a manual balloon whisk I think it might be better if I have some electronic equipment. The question that I have is: should I get an electric whisk or a food processor.

The electric whisk will help with most baking, but the food processor will help with bread and chopping as well. So, I was wondering which piece of equipment would be better to invest in?

Reaction score
I have both a food processor and an electric whisk, in fact a metal whisk set that includes several pieces in different size and a silicon whisk.

I think all of them are useful serving to different purposes. In example a quick one-egg battering makes unnecessary both the electrical whisk and the food processor, while the smallest whisk of the set is the right choice in this case.

The opposite case, the batter of a heavy cake dough mix is best worked with the aid of a food processor than with the electric whisk, which is more suitable for the preparation of a box cake mix.

Reaction score
I don't own a food processor, so it's an electric whisk for me. I can't imagine ever doing it manually with a balloon whisk! My whisk is really good as it's pretty powerful, so even the lowest setting is enough to beat the thickest of mixtures. There's not really much need for a food procressor if you've got a powerful whisk!

Reaction score
I think you should think about which item would better suit the majority of recipes you work with. I do not own a food processor, so I say the electric whisk.

Reaction score
As a long time baker myself, if you are thinking of baking more cakes, a Kitchen Aid is your best bet. You can put your sugar and butter in and let it fluff up while your hands are free to do other things. Plus if you are not making a large amount of cakes, you can make the whole cake batter in it. You could always find a 5 or 6 quart one on Ebay if you are on a budget.

Reaction score
If you're focusing mainly on baking, you should purchase a whisk. Every cake requires some type of mixing, but they all don't require a chopped or sliced item. The other tools I would get are a decent set of measuring cups both glass and plastic.

Reaction score
I prefer to use a food processor. I own a metal whisk and a food processor. A food processor makes food preparation more quicker and easier. I love to mix all of my ingredients in the food processor. I use a whisk when I cook breakfast. I use a whisk to prepare omelets in the morning for breakfast.

Reaction score
h
I'm getting more serious about the baking that I am doing which means that I am moving to more make-from-scratch type recipes. While I have a manual balloon whisk I think it might be better if I have some electronic equipment. The question that I have is: should I get an electric whisk or a food processor.

The electric whisk will help with most baking, but the food processor will help with bread and chopping as well. So, I was wondering which piece of equipment would be better to invest in?

I would go with the electric whisk over the food processor. I think you can do more with the whisk.
I'm not that into food processors. I like to chop food by hand. It works better that way.

Reaction score
I too do not like food processors. I cut by hand and use a whisk. Call me a purist, but it works for me and it seems less "processed" so to speak.

Reaction score
A food processor is the first thing I am going to buy when I move to that new place next year :p I can spend a long time with no whisk, but might get one later on.

Reaction score
I have a KitchenAid and that thing is heavenly when it comes to baking, making icing, and so forth.

For me it's my one stop shop kitchen appliance and I use it very regularly. An electric whisk for me ends up being redundant with the KitchenAid. It's a bit of an initial expense but worth it - they are so sturdy and well made.

Reaction score
Cuisinart Food Processor at home..jpg
Here's mine! A Cuisinart. Simple with only a few frills, but powerful!! :)
Cuisinart Food Processor at home..jpg

Reaction score
It also has the newly revised blade with no more rivets to crack the blade assembly!! :)

Ask a Question