Finally scaled my chiffon cake!

Reaction score
I developed this chiffon cake recipe a couple of years ago and it always baked up 1 3/4” in a 2” high tin. Which always annoyed me because I build my cake tiers is a ring with a 5” acetate cake collar. At 1 3/4” I had to increase the amount of filling beyond my standard 1/2” so the top layer of icing wouldn’t be disproportionately thicker.

So finally I got the scale right on this recipe to a full 2”:D

89C0581C-C7F6-43D3-81FB-DF3B5178B69E.jpeg

Reaction score
Fantastic! I'm always so impressed with your chiffon cakes, I really must try making one sometime. I bought myself some 8" aluminium cake tins recently, and I'm really pleased with them so far! Previously I was using dark-coloured non-stick tins, but I remember you saying how much of a difference aluminium tins can make.

Reaction score
Fantastic! I'm always so impressed with your chiffon cakes, I really must try making one sometime. I bought myself some 8" aluminium cake tins recently, and I'm really pleased with them so far! Previously I was using dark-coloured non-stick tins, but I remember you saying how much of a difference aluminium tins can make.

Chiffon is my favorite cake. It stands out for it height, soft crumb, and moistness. This is a cake that does not need simple syrup. The other beautiful thing about chiffon cake is it’s made with water not milk. So the flavor choices are only limited by your imagination. This cake is 1000 cakes. I’ve made this cake with champagne; sparkling apple juice; elderflower cordial; lemon juice and mineral water; unsweetened sparkling grape juice; orange juice and mineral water; plain water. I’ve turned this into chocolate cake; vanilla cake; strawberry cake; lavender cake. Sometimes I feel like a cheat because I use this one recipe that I use for just about every cake I bake.

It’s traditionally made with cake flour, which is bleached. Let me work on my recipe to see if I can convert it to unbleached flour and I’ll send you the recipe.

Ask a Question