What can i substitute butter with in cakes?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Recently got into baking and ive been wanting to practice more, most recipes ive found lately call for butter but lets be honest butter aint as cheap as it used to be lol! Ive been baking a lot and if i was to start using butter in every recipe id be looking at 1-2
whole brick of butter per week just for baking Can i substitute butter for oil or will that completely ruin my recipes (if so whats the ratio that i should use)? And If i can't substitute with oil what can i use that will not totally ruin the flavour?

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Recently got into baking and ive been wanting to practice more, most recipes ive found lately call for butter but lets be honest butter aint as cheap as it used to be lol! Ive been baking a lot and if i was to start using butter in every recipe id be looking at 1-2
whole brick of butter per week just for baking Can i substitute butter for oil or will that completely ruin my recipes (if so whats the ratio that i should use)? And If i can't substitute with oil what can i use that will not totally ruin the flavour?
Margarine 1:1 substitution. Color will be lighter, taste, and texture a tab bit different, but it's the easiest substitution.

When substituting with oil is a little bit trickier since butter based recipes use the creaming method for mixing. Creaming butter with sugar not to mix ingredients, but for leavening. Oil based baked goods do not have a leavening mixing component, so a substitution of oil for butter could result in a low rise if leavening isn't adjusted. If you want to substitute oil, I would recommend you look for specific oil based recipes. A recipe formulated for oil will have the correct amount of fat and leavening.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Unsalted margarine but most bakeries and store cakes are made with shortening, they don't taste greasy because they are so sweet.

Ask a Question