Flap Jacks

Reaction score
So I'm making flap jacks and they've just come out of the oven..

well, it is basically just a gooey mixture. Very similar to what went in the oven. When they come out should they be firm or hard? or do they need to cool first? So confused, the recipe doesn't mention this and online I can't find a response

This is the recipe I'm using, although I changed golden syrup for agave syrup http://www.womanmagazine.co.uk/archive/mary-berrys-flapjacks-8693

Reaction score
I haven't made flapjacks for a while, but they were always soft when I took them out of the oven. They harden up when they cool, so unless you like them very firm it's best to undercook rather than overcook. That being said, golden syrup has a slightly higher sugar content than agave, and consequently it will absorb more moisture.

How are they now that they have cooled?

Reaction score
Huh, I never knew that! What are they known as in the USA?

I love flapjacks, they are so delicious :)

Reaction score
Wow, I've learned something new today as well! Had no idea flapjacks was a name for pancakes in the US.

So the recipe said 35 minutes, that what I left them in the oven for. They were burnt around the edges, and completely underneath (my oven seems to be heating from below which has caused me problems recently).

They were unable due to the burning, although the top bit tasted nice.

Another issue: the baking paper stuck to the bottom and I couldn't get it off. So annoying. Would this be solved by greasing with butter or cake spray?

I noticed that the recipe in the book says 35 minutes, and the recipe online says 30. This is quite typical with Mary Berry recipes- I think she has been around for so long and using these recipes for so long, that the different home economists who work with her sometimes suggest slightly different things.

Reaction score
Wow, I've learned something new today as well! Had no idea flapjacks was a name for pancakes in the US.

So the recipe said 35 minutes, that what I left them in the oven for. They were burnt around the edges, and completely underneath (my oven seems to be heating from below which has caused me problems recently).

They were unable due to the burning, although the top bit tasted nice.

Another issue: the baking paper stuck to the bottom and I couldn't get it off. So annoying. Would this be solved by greasing with butter or cake spray?

I noticed that the recipe in the book says 35 minutes, and the recipe online says 30. This is quite typical with Mary Berry recipes- I think she has been around for so long and using these recipes for so long, that the different home economists who work with her sometimes suggest slightly different things.

What you call a flapjack, we call a granola bar in America. I wonder how we managed to morph the British version of flapjack into a pancake:rolleyes::rolleyes:

A couple things you can try to prevent burning and sticking...

Reduce the oven temperature to 160C.

Double sheet the pan (place a clean baking sheet under the pan with the flapjack).

Spray the baking paper.

Reaction score
Agreed that having the oven at a lower temperature should help with the burning. The sugar content is high which means it can burn easily, so low and slow will help with that.

I wonder how we managed to morph the British version of flapjack into a pancake:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Out of curiosity I just looked up the etymology... Looks like it was actually the other way round!

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/flapjack

Reaction score
Agreed that having the oven at a lower temperature should help with the burning. The sugar content is high which means it can burn easily, so low and slow will help with that.

Out of curiosity I just looked up the etymology... Looks like it was actually the other way round!

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/flapjack

haaa, usually we Americans twist things to our liking. When I was a kid, flapjack seemed to be more common than pancake. Now pancake is the norm...maybe due to the International House of Pancakes chain of restaurants. But I like the sound of flapjacks:p

Reaction score
haaa, usually we Americans twist things to our liking. When I was a kid, flapjack seemed to be more common than pancake. Now pancake is the norm...maybe due to the International House of Pancakes chain of restaurants. But I like the sound of flapjacks:p

To me, as a Canadian, flapjacks were something that Lumberjacks and Truckers ate! They were large and soaked in delicious maple syrup and were the epitome of the hungry mans breakfast before he would long haul across the country or fell an acre of trees!

Ask a Question