For making your own icing do you prefer powder or dye?

Discussion in 'Decorating' started by H.C. Heartland, Aug 22, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. Heartland Well-Known Member

I have found out the color or 'theme' of the wedding which I'm baking a cake for: light green. I am wondering what would be the best way to make this color for my cake. I can get my hands on both powder or dye and I was looking for suggestions on which type might work better in a hot climate.

H.C. Heartland, Aug 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. H.C. Heartland

Tina Nord Well-Known Member

If you are going for a light green color, then I think you would be ok if you just wanted to use liquid dye. The darker colored frostings do better with powder or gel coloring as you have to use more dye and would not want your frosting to get runny.

Tina Nord, Aug 25, 2014
    Diane Lane and H.C. Heartland like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. H.C. Heartland

Thank you! that really helps a lot. I need the frosting to be stiffer because it will be in warmer temperatures and decorated so it needs to stand nicely.

H.C. Heartland, Aug 25, 2014
  4. H.C. Heartland

tangela Well-Known Member

I would go with the dye, because a part of me worries that if you have the powder one and it gets wet for some reason before you can make the cake it would ruin it. Dyes are always good, plus then you can decide just how light you want the color to be.

tangela, Sep 5, 2014
    H.C. Heartland likes this.
  5. H.C. Heartland

torreyy Well-Known Member

Dye. Although the climate should not really affect either method. I just prefer dye myself.

torreyy, Sep 5, 2014
    H.C. Heartland likes this.
  6. H.C. Heartland

NThomas Well-Known Member

I like the gel coloring they take better and you do not have to use alot. The powder can be tricky and sometimes gives you uneven clumps.

NThomas, Sep 9, 2014
  7. H.C. Heartland

I just wanted to update what I ended up doing: I used a buttercream frosting recipe that called for shortening and I used margarine. This gave it a yellowish color. Then I added cocoa powder (pure) to the part of the batch I set aside for piping. this made the words and decorations dark chocolate. The taste was delicious! So I would highly recommend it when cake decorating.

H.C. Heartland, Mar 16, 2015
  8. H.C. Heartland

Trellum Well-Known Member

I always use dye because I just like to add a dash of color to the icing, I don't like my cakes to have a strong color.. delicate is always better :) I love ''pastel'' tones best. They're so classy and nice.

Trellum, Apr 8, 2015
    Diane Lane and H.C. Heartland like this.
  9. H.C. Heartland

barkingsquirrel Well-Known Member

I agree, Trellum! The lighter, the better and dye is the best choice for the job. Also, just the idea of the word cake, evokes a delicate feeling. A lighter color fits the "feel" of the product and the occasion.

barkingsquirrel, May 31, 2015
  10. H.C. Heartland

confettine Well-Known Member

I've done something like this before! And it's amazing just how yummy a chocolate icing looks anyway. :) I usually use dye otherwise (it's what I can get), though this provides pastel-like colors. MMmmm chocolate frosting...

confettine, Jun 2, 2015
  11. H.C. Heartland

ThatNewMommy Well-Known Member

That sounds awesome.
    For others that still want opinions, I would use dye/gel or, as someone said, a SMALL amount of liquid. For some reason I don't like the powdered ones at all.

ThatNewMommy, Jun 2, 2015
  12. H.C. Heartland

DancingLady Well-Known Member

I have always used liquid. I feel that liquid mixes best because it is already fully dissolved. You don't have to worry about a small chunk of powder not mixing in evenly.

DancingLady, Jul 6, 2015
  13. H.C. Heartland

Bakers12 Well-Known Member

I generally just use a liquid food coloring. It's easier to work with. I don't like how some of the powders make the frosting a little grainy.

Bakers12, Oct 2, 2015
  14. H.C. Heartland

Diane Lane Well-Known Member

I've never used powders, and didn't realize they were supposed to be best for darker colors. That's probably because I've never made darker colored frosting. Like @Trellum, I lean toward the pastel side when baking. I'll have to look into the powders though, because I can remember one time when I was trying to make brighter colored frosting for a Spring party, I had difficulty getting the color right using dye.

Diane Lane, Oct 3, 2015
  15. H.C. Heartland

ReadmeByAmy Well-Known Member

For making my own icing I always use dye instead of powder coloring because I can make better the shade of color that I really want for my icings.

ReadmeByAmy, Oct 5, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question