Eggs in Bread Making

Discussion in 'Bread' started by Akos, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Akos

Akos Well-Known Member

Hello, when eggs are added to bread dough, do they make the bread go bad when the baked bread is left on the counter at room temperature?

The reason I am asking this is almost all the local commercial bread bakers here add no egg at all or at least an egg to a kilo or 2kg of flour, that is if they will at least. They reason that when egg is added, the baked bread will go bad quickly within 2 or 3 days when they've not been able to sell all of them, and left at room temperature, so they'll prefer at least adding milk. Is there any truth in this?

Akos, Sep 19, 2019
    1. Advertisements

2. Akos

Sylvester1D New Member

Yes. Fresh eggs in bread reduces shelf life of the bread to maximum 3 days at room temperature. Evaporated milk also does similar thing.

So basically, instead of evaporated milk I will advice them to introduce powdered milk or calcium propionate(powder form) which serves as a preservative this is the only way shelf life can be extended when milk or fresh eggs are used in bread.

Sylvester1D, Oct 3, 2019
    1. Advertisements

3. Akos

Akos Well-Known Member

Akos, Oct 5, 2019
  4. Akos

PaddyL Member

Bread, or the eggs within, does not go bad, nor to the eggs. But added eggs, depending on how many used, will make the bread lighter and therefore, tending to make the bread drier.

PaddyL, Oct 9, 2019
  5. Akos

Akos Well-Known Member

Akos, Oct 10, 2019
  6. Akos

Sylvester1D New Member

@PaddyL, I don't get your first sentence but I know for surety that EGGS DO NOT make bread lighter and drier.

Sylvester1D, Nov 4, 2019
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question