Fruit Pellets for baking???

Reaction score
So, I'm sure most everyone here has seen the boxes of Muffin mix and Pancake mix which have small pellets of raspberries or strawberries. This is how we get those classic Jiffy Mix Raspberry Muffins. What I want to know is, where can I buy JUST those pellets, Nuggets, whatever they are called. I've tried and tried online but cannot even seem to find what they are officially called, let alone where I can order them. Been trying for years to find them. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Reaction score
Depending on the company and if the fruit is readily available at a cheap price will determine what those pellets are made from.

Most of the time they are just freeze dried minced fruit bits. You can make freeze dried fruit bits at home.

Sometimes they use fruit flavoring or fruit juice to make those pellets. Again, freeze dried.

And if you get into the cheaper brands, those pellets are pretty much nothing but bits of hard gelatin flavored with fruit extracts.

If you want to know FOR SURE what those pellets are, email the manufacturer. They should be able to tell you what they are and where you might can get some.

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. I forgot to mention in the original post that I'm looking for the actual name of these pellets or bits, and more specifically, how I can buy them in bulk. Basically, I buy Pancake Mix in bulk. Sometimes I want those little bits of flavor, sometimes not. So I just wanted to be able to buy a jar of those little round bits so I can add them to the batter when I want. Any Ideas where I can buy them?

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. I forgot to mention in the original post that I'm looking for the actual name of these pellets or bits, and more specifically, how I can buy them in bulk. Basically, I buy Pancake Mix in bulk. Sometimes I want those little bits of flavor, sometimes not. So I just wanted to be able to buy a jar of those little round bits so I can add them to the batter when I want. Any Ideas where I can buy them?

Well, the proper term is "granules".

And depending on your use or expected outcome of the use of said product, will determine what form you will need.

Probably the most used company would be Mayan Sun, you can check out their link below.

http://www.mayansun.net/products.html

Reaction score
Sometimes I want those little bits of flavor, sometimes not. So I just wanted to be able to buy a jar of those little round bits so I can add them to the batter when I want. Any Ideas where I can buy them?

Any reason why you wouldn't want to just use frozen fruit? You can get frozen wild blueberries, etc. and they remain good in the freezer for months if stored properly. Otherwise, most supermarkets sell dried fruits, the bigger chunky ones you could pulse in a food processor to get into smaller, still dried, bits.

Reaction score
I see this is nearly 2 years old but the closest thing I have found available to the general public is the fruit jammy bits King Arthur sells. Not quite the same but closer than anything else. (The Mayan Sun link no longer works for anyone else visiting this page.) Fruit granules did not turn up good results in a google search. "Fruit flavored bits" gave the closest results. So to the manufacturers out there like Martha White & White Lily - there is a market for just the fruit flavored pellets. Package them up, we will buy them!

Ask a Question