"Gourmet" sandwich breads

Reaction score
I tried a new little place for lunch the other day, because they advertised gourmet sandwiches. They offered homemade chicken salad, which sounded good to me, so I decided to check it out. I was disappointed to unwrap my sandwich and find it served on plain, store bought, white bread. Bleh!

My husband and I were discussing it and he asked what kinds of breads would be good for "gourmet" sandwiches. I'm not entirely sure what qualifies something as being gourmet, but store bought white bread sure ain't it. lol

What kinds of breads would you suggest?

Reaction score
LOL, I do not think white bread qualifies. I like to buy the super seedy bread when I make gourmet sandwiches. If I am going to the trouble, I might as well go all the way! For some reason the only deli meat I don't like is the sliced turkey. I always buy ham and cheddar.

Reaction score
I tried a new little place for lunch the other day, because they advertised gourmet sandwiches. They offered homemade chicken salad, which sounded good to me, so I decided to check it out. I was disappointed to unwrap my sandwich and find it served on plain, store bought, white bread. Bleh!

My husband and I were discussing it and he asked what kinds of breads would be good for "gourmet" sandwiches. I'm not entirely sure what qualifies something as being gourmet, but store bought white bread sure ain't it. lol

What kinds of breads would you suggest?

I know exactly what you mean. I went to a baby shower at a local tea room before, and was extremely disappointed at the white bread sandwiches. I think it would be nice to have a selection of breads to choose from, and my favorite is almost always some variety of rye. I love seeds on my bread, especially if it's for toast. I love Russian and Jewish Ryes, as well as Marble Rye and Pumpernickel.

Reaction score
Definitely not store-bought!!! Lolol We have "water bread" here which is usually fresh baked and not even that I count as gourmet unless it's this really soft kind which is sold in some areas. Thing is you have to taste it to know which one it is. LOL
I agree: rye, maybe something whole wheat...something that looks handmade. ;)

Reaction score
I hate white bread, it doesn't go well with that kind of sandwiches. I always use a high quality multi grain (brown) sandwich bread. I also like sandwiches in baguette bread (small multi grain versions), it all depends on the quality of the bread and where you buy it. I've tasted some really nice baguette breads, but not all of them fit the bill. I also like paninis :)

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. I went to a baby shower at a local tea room before, and was extremely disappointed at the white bread sandwiches. I think it would be nice to have a selection of breads to choose from, and my favorite is almost always some variety of rye. I love seeds on my bread, especially if it's for toast. I love Russian and Jewish Ryes, as well as Marble Rye and Pumpernickel.

Oh, yum! I like any kind of rye bread and pumpernickel works too. Cocktail rye would have worked nicely for little tea sandwiches.

Bread with grains and seeds are all okay in my book. I think an onion roll or something would be good too. Heck, I'd have been happy with a good French bread or Italian if it had to be white, but basic Wonder bread? Nope!

Reaction score
Oh, yum! I like any kind of rye bread and pumpernickel works too. Cocktail rye would have worked nicely for little tea sandwiches.

Bread with grains and seeds are all okay in my book. I think an onion roll or something would be good too. Heck, I'd have been happy with a good French bread or Italian if it had to be white, but basic Wonder bread? Nope!

Yes, seeds and grains are a plus. I don't eat bagel sandwiches usually, but Einstein Bros. has some fabulous bagels that I will slice in half and toast, then sometimes use for sandwiches. Even if I don't use them for sandwiches, they are the best bagels I've ever had. My favorites are the Sesame and Asiago Cheese (2 separate), but they also have onion and ones with just about everything. If I didn't have digestive issues with onions, I'd be eating those.

Reaction score
Yes, seeds and grains are a plus. I don't eat bagel sandwiches usually, but Einstein Bros. has some fabulous bagels that I will slice in half and toast, then sometimes use for sandwiches. Even if I don't use them for sandwiches, they are the best bagels I've ever had. My favorites are the Sesame and Asiago Cheese (2 separate), but they also have onion and ones with just about everything. If I didn't have digestive issues with onions, I'd be eating those.

Oh, well, that just made me hungry. I enjoy a good bagel, and an Asiago one just sounds delish. I think I'd just enjoy that one all by itself.

If it weren't so hot today, I'd consider baking some bread. I may have to hit up the bakery instead. I'd still quite like to have a nice chicken salad sandwich on some good bread.

Reaction score
Oh, well, that just made me hungry. I enjoy a good bagel, and an Asiago one just sounds delish. I think I'd just enjoy that one all by itself.

If it weren't so hot today, I'd consider baking some bread. I may have to hit up the bakery instead. I'd still quite like to have a nice chicken salad sandwich on some good bread.

@Zyni I don't know about where you are, but although there is an Einstein Bros not too far away, SuperTarget sells their bagels in the bakery section, so that's usually where I get them. You have to get there early to get the asiago or sesame ones, but there are usually some of the others left if you get there after noon. This thread is really making me crave some good bread, I think I'll have to pick some up tomorrow, unless I get the urge to bake later.

Reaction score
My favorite bread for gourmet type sandwiches is focaccia bread. Something that has some taste! I've had amazing foccacia breads with all manner of herbs, sun dried tomatoes and things like that - so the bread is a star of the show in itself, and anything but bland!

Reaction score
My favorite bread for gourmet type sandwiches is focaccia bread. Something that has some taste! I've had amazing foccacia breads with all manner of herbs, sun dried tomatoes and things like that - so the bread is a star of the show in itself, and anything but bland!

Yum. That sounds delicious. I've always wanted to make some. I really shouldn't start baking bread when it's this hot though. I think I'll make a list and do some bread baking as soon as things start to cool off. I'm sure my family will help me eat my experiments, lol.

Thanks for the info, @Diane Lane. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those nearby. I'll have to see what the bakeries are offering.

Reaction score
images
That's gourmet bread for you. Or how about this guy here?
depositphotos_30101333-Bread-make-different-pieces-of-organic-natural-cereal-gourmet-bread.jpg

Reaction score
Leave it to @Winterybella to post pics that make me drool. lol Now, that looks like bread worthy of being called gourmet. Yummy.

Is that an oatmeal bread in the top pic? The loaf? Oatmeal sounds good too.

I guess I'm just going to have to make some good bread, so I can get over this craving for the stuff.

Reaction score
Leave it to @Winterybella to post pics that make me drool. lol Now, that looks like bread worthy of being called gourmet. Yummy.

Is that an oatmeal bread in the top pic? The loaf? Oatmeal sounds good too.

I guess I'm just going to have to make some good bread, so I can get over this craving for the stuff.

I can't even tell you if it is for sure. I just grabbed them quickly from online as I knew that was gourmet is suppose to look like. Bread oh bread...it could 'kill me dead" ( an expression around here) the "killing dead". My husband brought some white bread home yesterday. It looked so tempting as white as it was....I succumbed. :mad:

Reaction score
I can't even tell you if it is for sure. I just grabbed them quickly from online as I knew that was gourmet is suppose to look like. Bread oh bread...it could 'kill me dead" ( an expression around here) the "killing dead". My husband brought some white bread home yesterday. It looked so tempting as white as it was....I succumbed. :mad:

Indeed. There is good white bread. I like several different types of it. I could easily be tempted by it, especially if it's from a bakery. I'm just not tempted by the typical sandwich loaf found at the supermarket. I guess that's a good thing. I don't need Wonder Bread tempting me too!

Ask a Question