Great British Bake Off 2016

Reaction score
Anyone else watching GBBO this year? I'm a bit behind, I've watched four episodes so far but still got about three more to watch I think. I love the new topics - batter was an interesting one! I see that there is also one called 'Botanicals' which sounds intriguing, so I'm looking forward to seeing that one.

It's such a shame that it's going to be changing after this series! If you haven't heard, here's the low-down:

http://tv.bt.com/tv/great-british-b...mary-berry-still-be-the-judges-11364095849825

It won't be the same without Mary, Mel and Sue! :( Would have been fantastic if they got Dawn French & Jennifer Saunders to present it, but it sounds like that won't be happening either.

So I'll definitely be making the most of the episodes this year!

Reaction score
I got hooked on that, but have only been able to see the first 4 seasons over here in the states.

No more Mary, Mel, and Sue????? Wonder how many fans will stop watching then....
Paul will still be on there though?

Yok

Reaction score
loving it....it could be anybodies this year, as they all have good days and bad days

Reaction score
I got hooked on that, but have only been able to see the first 4 seasons over here in the states.

No more Mary, Mel, and Sue????? Wonder how many fans will stop watching then....
Paul will still be on there though?

The rights have been sold to a different channel (Channel 4) and only Paul Hollywood has agreed to continue with it. However it looks like the BBC will be making a replacement program featuring Mary Berry (but I'm not sure whether Mel & Sue will be on it). So we may end up with even more Bake Off programs! :D

Reaction score
I am sure that the British have their specialties when it comes to the sweets just like every other culture out there. I always love getting to taste what others are known for, especially because traditionally the Polish desserts are not really anything too great. We specialize in salty meats.

Yok

Reaction score
The rights have been sold to a different channel (Channel 4) and only Paul Hollywood has agreed to continue with it. However it looks like the BBC will be making a replacement program featuring Mary Berry (but I'm not sure whether Mel & Sue will be on it). So we may end up with even more Bake Off programs! :D

mel and sue have already said they won't be going to the new format....its only paul going...

i'm guessing the other baker will probably be a former winner, and knowing channel 4 the other hosts will be some equally annoying 'z' listers

the beeb are gonna want to come up with something good...GBBO was one of their big successes, and they desperately need one after top gear flopping so bad.....just don't give chris evans a job as presenter!! haha

Fae

Reaction score
The only reason I learned about the show was through watching it on public television. It felt a little odd at first, comparing it to all the food network shows, but that quickly wore off. They weren't just baking cakes and french-dessert-of-the-week, but instead all kinds of sweets and in all kinds of flavors. There were even some weeks where the the contestants took a risk and went savory. And they walked through the steps of what made each pastry good or bad and why that was the case.

Hopefully they'll still show it on PBS awhile, but it's a shame the money struggle led to the format change.

Reaction score
It seems shows these days only last so long without shutting down entirely, or being gobbled up by another station. I've only seen one season of it, and I enjoyed what I did watch. I had others on the DVR, but then had some sort of incident where the DVR had to be replaced and I lost all of my recorded content, and after that, I never seemed to pick up watching some of those shows. I'm sure it'll probably still be good in the new format, but will probably lose some loyal watchers, especially with three of the hosts/judges gone. I don't watch as much regular TV these days, but maybe I'll be able to catch that new show via PBS when it airs, if it's shown here.

Reaction score
It's not something I am familiar with. When I saw the bake off in the title I thought @Becky was in some sort of competition. I might take a peek but I am afraid to get too attached as I have so much going on at present. Still would be good to see it.

Reaction score
It's not something I am familiar with. When I saw the bake off in the title I thought @Becky was in some sort of competition. I might take a peek but I am afraid to get too attached as I have so much going on at present. Still would be good to see it.

The same thing happens to me most of the times, sometimes it's better not to look at it in order to avoid anything like that.

Reaction score
The same thing happens to me most of the times, sometimes it's better not to look at it in order to avoid anything like that.
Right now I have been on a different mission so much so that my baking has been seriously curtailed. Getting hooked on any programs would ruin my plans but I must confess the temptation is always there and sometimes I think I need to pause for cause as I like to say.

Ask a Question