The key to making a great muffin

Reaction score
Well I have to confess that I have never made a muffin and when I have my sweet moments it's something I rather enjoy. I thought I would take a look on the net to see what I could find and came across a simple recipe I might be inclined to try.

I read that the key to making a great muffin is not over mixing the batter. It was suggested that once the liquid ingredients were added to the dry, you should mix the batter by hand until the flour is moistened, for no more than about ten seconds. It was reiterated that too much mixing can cause the muffins to be dry, tough or misshapen.

It sounds like it makes good sense but I wouldn't know until I try. What do you veterans say to this?

Reaction score
I would say that is accurate. My mother always mixed her muffins pretty quickly like that and did not stir any more than necessary. She never used a mixer, just did it by hand. I think by hand is better because you have more control, also less to wash up.

Reaction score
I would say that is accurate. My mother always mixed her muffins pretty quickly like that and did not stir any more than necessary. She never used a mixer, just did it by hand. I think by hand is better because you have more control, also less to wash up.

DancingLady, I wish I could provide you with an answer but I really don't know. I saw it and thought how timely and fitting for the kids. I figured the name alone should get they attention. Like I said I have never made a muffin so it would be all new to me. I like that it seems pretty simple as well. I find the older folks know how to work their hands well. That's something I have always admired.

Reaction score
The key to moist muffis is to definitely not overmix them. I like to make a hole, or well, in the center of my dry ingredients to pour the liquid ingredients into and mix mine that way. That usually makes mine turn out pretty well.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip gurl! I love muffins, but I rarely make 'em. I might start making my own in the future tho, would love making my own wheat english muffins for breakfast next year! Yummy!!!

Reaction score
I love eating muffins and my favorites are banana muffin and corn muffin. I always eat this together with a roast chicken and mashed potatoes. How I love that I will have the right kind of recipe for me to try this baking muffins. For all your tips I had learned already many ideas before I try making one. Thanks all for sharing:)

Ask a Question