Help!.cake tasted and smelt like gasoline

Discussion in 'Cakes' started by jennifer, Apr 11, 2017.

1. jennifer

jennifer New Member

Hello everyone..I have been in the baking business for about 6 years now and i have never encounted this problem. Two customers came back with a slice of cake we made tasting and smelling like gasoline (this was 2 days after the cake was made). The cake wasn't looking spoilt. The cut out from the cakes still tasted fine as it was still in my fridge. These cakes where vanilla cakes covered in buttercream (icingsugar + margeine+flavour). The plain cakes made that day had no gasoline taste or smell. Please what could have gone wrong?...

jennifer, Apr 11, 2017
    towfiq likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. jennifer

Becky Administrator

Welcome to the forum :)

Gosh, what a weird thing to happen! I can only assume it was down to how/where they stored it...?

Becky, Apr 12, 2017
    RoseMGenuine likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. jennifer

JewelCotton Member

This is really weird:eek: I've never heard of such a thing to actually happen... I agree with Becky here, I guess it really comes down to where and how they stored it. You should definitely talk to your co-workers about it 'cause these things should never happen in any store.

JewelCotton, Apr 13, 2017
  4. jennifer

ChesterV Well-Known Member

Sounds like a scam to me.

Some people will order a cake and then bring it back with dirt on it, or saying it tastes "bad" when there's nothing wrong with it. They did it themselves in order to get a cake for free.

Some people will also damage a cake for that specific purpose. Like people putting hair or bugs into their food at a restaurant and then claiming it CAME to them like that.......just to get a free meal.

I mean really..........bringing back ONE SLICE???????? If your cake REALLY tasted and smelled of gasoline from the bakery, wouldn't you have brought the ENTIRE cake BACK to the bakery?????

ChesterV, Apr 13, 2017
    Becky and towfiq like this.
  5. jennifer

RoseMGenuine Member

That's terrible and wouldn't even have occurred to me! Wow.

RoseMGenuine, Apr 14, 2017
    ChesterV likes this.
  6. jennifer

ChesterV Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's more common than it used to be.
    Everybody thinks they are so special, they don't need to be paying for something, everything should be handed to them.

A LOT of people have.........well, to put the term loosely.......big, brass balls.

I worked in a greeting card shop for a part time job a few years ago. Some guy brought in CAR TIRES for a REFUND!!!!!

People have no scruples, morals, or ethics anymore. And it makes it hard for the few decent, honest people who actually WANT to work or have their own business, because of these types.

No matter if you live in a big city or a small town, they are there. So watch out for them. If somebody is telling you an unbelievable story in order to get a refund or something for free, then more than likely that story is just what it is..........a story.

Legitimate customers with legitimate issues coming in for refunds or replacements will be, well, legitimate.

I mean, come on. Really...................would you eat 99% of a cake that smelled and tasted like gasoline???

ChesterV, Apr 15, 2017
    JewelCotton likes this.
  7. jennifer

JewelCotton Member

I agree with you here... What a sad world we live in:( @jennifer if you're still reading this, did you talk to your co-workers about the whole situation?

JewelCotton, Apr 19, 2017
    1. Advertisements