Hiding vegetables in baked goods?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there are more ways to eat your vegetables than just the standard carrot cakes, zucchini chocolate cakes, substituting applesauce for oil, etc. Any new recipes I haven't heard of?

Reaction score
I tried to make a chocolate cake using beetroot a while ago, but it didn't really turn out right - it wasn't because of the beetroot though, but rather because the recipe called for coffee and I used instant coffee granules instead of actual coffee in its liquid form... :rolleyes: I'd try it again though, beetroot's supposedly fantastic in things like chocolate cake, and gives it a lovely colour.

Reaction score
Here is a recipe that I have had for quite awhile. Its very tasty and a nice change from a standard carrot cake. If you try it please let me know how you liked it.

Carrot Souffle'

2 c. cooked carrots
1 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 stick margarine
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs
2 heaping T. plain flour
1 tsp. baking powder
nuts
powdered sugar

Cook carrots until tender-beat in blender until soft then add sugar, milk, margarine, cinnamon, salt, eggs, flour, and baking powder- blend well. Pour into greased casserole dish- bake at 350 for one hour. During last half hour of baking top with chopped nuts of your choice. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Reaction score
I found this great recipe at Reader's Digest's website using tomato juice in Red Velvet Devil's Cake. It's at this link: http://www.rd.com/food/red-velvet-devils-cake and a Red Chocolate Bundt Cake recipe using beets. The recipe is at this link: http://www.rd.com/food/red-chocolate-bundt-cake-recipe. Reader's Digest also advise that to get a more moist and luscious chocolate cake by adding tomato paste to your cake batter at this link: http://www.rd.com/slideshows/13-recipes-with-hidden-fruits-and-veggies/#slideshow=slide9. There's also another recipe using carrots in rolls. Get it right here: http://www.rd.com/food/golden-rolls. You can also use butternut squash to make a braided bread; learn how to make it at this link: http://www.rd.com/food/golden-autumn-braid.

Reaction score
Sneaking vegetables in pies and muffins can be an easy feat. Also, the type of vegetable you choose is a determining factor to how stealthily adding them to your bake goods will be. For instance, squash can become very versatile. Pumpkin can be pureed and added to pancakes, muffins, or whipped into a frosting or glaze for cupcakes, bundt cakes, and even donuts (although the latter may completely defeat the purpose of the vegetable's health benefits.) Also squash like zucchini and summer squash can be added to a nutty, whole wheat, seed muffin recipe for a moist and healthier treat.

Oh, and I just had a tasty thought for a pie! Sweet potato, pumpkin, and brown sugar filling with a coconut flake crust and a maple cinnamon whipped cream topping. I have a really wonderful pie recipe with coconut cream and palm oil and oatmeal. If you want to go all out with coconut you can even use coconut sugar for the pie feeling instead of brown sugar since they have similar tastes.

Reaction score
There are a hand full of cook books that are devoted to doing this sort of thing. They go in to detai about how to stream and puree fruits and vegatables to be used in baked good and other recipes. You can use all type of vegatable if you get the ratios correct.

Reaction score
My mom makes a delicious squash and chocolate breakfast smoothie- I didn't even know there was squash in there until I saw the rinds in the trash!

There's a quick stovetop cake that can be whipped up with carrots, cabbage, zucchini, two eggs and a box of store-bought chocolate cake mix. An aunt made it for us (with ballpark measurements, so it was a bit difficult to replicate) and it was an instant winner. The result is thick and dense- you can meet your daily fiber requirements with just two servings!

Reaction score
I only cook for myself and my husband, no kids anymore, so I often add things like carrots, flax seeds, and squash to cakes, cookies, and also to bread when I make it in the bread machine.
Another things that I like is tomato jam. it sounds weird, but I make raspberry freezer jam, and add tomato that has been through the blender, and the little tomato seeds are just like raspberry seeds, and the raspberry jello adds the raspberry flavor, so even when I don't have some fresh berries to add, it still tastes delicious. it is also fine added to blueberry, strawberry,or blackberry freezer jam.

Reaction score
My Mom made tomato jam a lot when I was growing up and we all loved it,,, she used raspberry, blackberry and strawberry jello when she made it. I add finely grated carrots, winter squash to a lot of my cake/muffing batters. I also use zuchinni and yellow squash that has been seeded in cake/muffins also. And when I make spagetti sauce, I add grated carrots and my kids love it.

Reaction score
I have used carrot and pumpkin in my cakes and i tried callaloo loaf once but other than that i haven't really being using my veggies in my baked products; this is something i might look in one of these days.

Reaction score
I enjoy putting broccoli in my pasta dishes and adding Alfred sauce to it.Carrots, green beans, along with your own favorite vegetables could be added to your type of roast meat.

Ask a Question