Homemade Pizza

Reaction score
I've had some truly delicious pizzas in restaurants and pizzerias, but the ones back home appeal to me more than the ones down here, so I decided to make my own. I've made them before, but usually use the rolled up pizza crusts you can buy at the store, or the pizza crust that comes in a pouch. I tend to shy away from using yeast, for some reason.

The craving got out of hand last night, and surpassed my yeast avoidance. Fortunately, I had some yeast on hand that I'd purchased for another project that didn't come to fruition, as well as a jar of pizza sauce and cheese. I found a quick recipe on All Recipes, and decided to try it out. I really enjoyed the results. I lean toward cheese pizza, although I do sometimes enjoy adding other toppings, but last night I stuck with cheese only.

Unfortunately, the site appears to be down right now, but here's the information from my Google Search.
Quick and Easy Pizza Crust Recipe - Allrecipes.com
upload_2016-7-31_9-7-44.jpeg
allrecipes.com/recipe/20171/quick-and-easy-pizza-crust/
Allrecipes.com
Rating: 4.7 - ‎1,988 reviews - ‎30 min - ‎189 cal
Directions. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a medium bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Turn doughout onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round.
Jay's Signature Pizza Crust · ‎How to Make Easy Homemade ... · ‎262 Photos
You visited this page on 7/30/16.

After what's posted there, I put foil onto a baking sheet, because I don't have a proper pizza pan, and I like a rectangular pizza. I spread cornmeal on the foil, and did the usual spreading the crust around a bit on the counter before depositing it onto the sheet and topping it with the sauce and cheese, as well as a a little salt and pepper. I added red pepper flakes after it was cooked, although I sometimes do that before cooking.

pizza.jpg

Reaction score
Well I have had some very good experiences with homemade pizza, and then some not so good experiences, but I am sure that it is the case with most everyone out there. The one thing that always surprises me is how expensive the pre-made crusts are, and so it is usually better to go ahead and find an alternative or make your own, but that can get a little messy. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
I use that crescent roll (in the popcan tubes) dough. I spread that out on a flat cake sheet (cookie sheet with sides), bake that a few minutes, then take it out and put spaghetti sauces on it, cheese, onions, olives, ham, pepperoni, and more cheese. I bake it till the cheese turns brown on top.

Reaction score
This is not a letdown to this thread. Maybe I am just lazy, okay, let's put it at that. I prefer to order Pizza Hut for they have an ongoing promo for 2 years now - 2 family size pizza for $10. Yeah, that cheap. When we have unexpected guests, all we do is order that promo for a snack and no more problem with the guests. Even at home, we sometimes order that promo. But I have to admit that I don't have the penchant to make a dough because that is exhausting to me.

Reaction score
I've never tried making pizza crust with the crescent rolls @ChesterV, how does the taste and consistency compare to the typical thin or hand tossed crust? Those are my two favorite types. The crust I made here was slightly thicker, but still very delicious, and somewhat chewy. I can thin it out a little more next time, though, and there will be a next time. I'm thinking my next one will be a pepperoni pizza, and if I have some on hand at the time, I might add some pepperoncini.

Reaction score
I've made pizza from scratch a few times when I was younger and maybe once or so in my older years. I just remember always calling my sister to help me out. She was quite good at it as I remember. We have a local pizza that is so good I don't mind saving myself the work and buying from that restaurant. I have been thinking of trying a whole wheat pizza dough. I would want a lot more than cheese as a topping though.

Reaction score
I have tried a variety of methods, from crescent rolls to frozen bread dough, and everything in between. I like thin, crispy, pizza crust and thick, crusty deep dish, although there aren't any types that I would call "bad" (I'm such a bread person).

The frozen bread dough (or just some homemade bread dough, especially if you have a bread machine) makes a nice thick crust.

Here is a recipe for the super thin kind: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/06/thin-and-crispy-pizza-crust/

How you make it is almost as important as what you put in it.

Reaction score
I've never tried making pizza crust with the crescent rolls @ChesterV, how does the taste and consistency compare to the typical thin or hand tossed crust? Those are my two favorite types. The crust I made here was slightly thicker, but still very delicious, and somewhat chewy. I can thin it out a little more next time, though, and there will be a next time. I'm thinking my next one will be a pepperoni pizza, and if I have some on hand at the time, I might add some pepperoncini.

I like it, and it really doesn't change the taste.
It's lighter and not as tough to chew as thin crust usually is for me.
I love thin crust with lots of toppings. I like less bread, more goodies.

You can spread it out real thin or you can put on two layers for thick crust.

Reaction score
My background is half Italian so making pizza is something I love to do - I used to make it with my Nonna when I was growing up! She was a great cook in so many ways and I think it's what got me inspired in the kitchen, not just with baking but with all manners of cooking! She would make jams and jellies and sauces all from scratch, her own pasta, pizza, the list goes on. And everything was always delicious!!

Reaction score
@cupcakechef I also have fond memories of cooking with loved ones growing up, it's probably why I enjoy cooking and baking now. I know a lot of young people didn't grow up with that, and it's sad, because there's something particularly comforting about fond memories of times spent in a warm kitchen, learning the old recipes, especially when the weather is cold and forbidding outside. Do you still make any of the foods you would make with your Nonna?

@ChesterV I might have to try using crescent rolls for my pizza crust one of these days. Do you just use one package per pizza? I sometimes like a few toppings at once, but I am somewhat of a purist, and like to be able to savor each flavor, so too many get overwhelming for me. I can handle the peppers, cheese and pepperoni, though, and sometimes I substitute olives (either, but usually black) for one of the other toppings.

Reaction score
@cupcakechef I also have fond memories of cooking with loved ones growing up, it's probably why I enjoy cooking and baking now. I know a lot of young people didn't grow up with that, and it's sad, because there's something particularly comforting about fond memories of times spent in a warm kitchen, learning the old recipes, especially when the weather is cold and forbidding outside. Do you still make any of the foods you would make with your Nonna?

@ChesterV I might have to try using crescent rolls for my pizza crust one of these days. Do you just use one package per pizza? I sometimes like a few toppings at once, but I am somewhat of a purist, and like to be able to savor each flavor, so too many get overwhelming for me. I can handle the peppers, cheese and pepperoni, though, and sometimes I substitute olives (either, but usually black) for one of the other toppings.

Yeah, I like it thin, so I use one can. Its lighter than regular pizza dough, so when you cut a piece off, it might fall apart...its not as sturdy as pizza dough.

Reaction score

I love making gnocchi, which was one of the things her and I used to make together! It's a great thing to make with kids, I think...lots of fun memories there! :)

Reaction score
I love making gnocchi, which was one of the things her and I used to make together! It's a great thing to make with kids, I think...lots of fun memories there! :)

It's so nice to have those memories, especially when our loves ones have passed one. I have fond memories of decorating and baking Christmas and Easter cookies with my mom and siblings. They're still around, but we don't get together very often, so it's nice to be able to think of those past times, and they always come to mind when I'm baking.

Reaction score
My background is half Italian so making pizza is something I love to do - I used to make it with my Nonna when I was growing up! She was a great cook in so many ways and I think it's what got me inspired in the kitchen, not just with baking but with all manners of cooking! She would make jams and jellies and sauces all from scratch, her own pasta, pizza, the list goes on. And everything was always delicious!!

I have nice memories of baking and cooking with my grandmothers and great aunt and my mother in law before they passed. My mom and I can cook up a storm together. My dad was a good cook too.

Now, it's me being grandma and my kids and grandkids coming over to make and bake good food and good memories. Our pizza parties will always be remembered, I think.

Reaction score
It's so nice to have those memories, especially when our loves ones have passed one. I have fond memories of decorating and baking Christmas and Easter cookies with my mom and siblings. They're still around, but we don't get together very often, so it's nice to be able to think of those past times, and they always come to mind when I'm baking.

Absolutely. I think just sharing recipes and having them passed down from generation to generation is a lovely thing. I'm excited for when my daughter is old enough to help me in the kitchen - I think there's something special about teaching someone how to cook, or bake - it's a real bonding experience as well as being educational :)

Reaction score
I definitely agree. I have so many fond memories of baking with loved ones. I don't have children, and my nieces don't seem to be at all interested in baking or cooking. They are even less interested in cleaning up after they make a mess, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to share the experience with them. I do find it enjoyable to cook with friends, though, and it's a good time to catch up on what's been happening in one another's lives, as well as make happy new memories.

Reaction score
I definitely agree. I have so many fond memories of baking with loved ones. I don't have children, and my nieces don't seem to be at all interested in baking or cooking. They are even less interested in cleaning up after they make a mess, so I wouldn't be in a hurry to share the experience with them. I do find it enjoyable to cook with friends, though, and it's a good time to catch up on what's been happening in one another's lives, as well as make happy new memories.

Yes! Cooking with friends is just as nice - I love just chatting while we work on making something. It's a productive way to spend time too!

And I don't blame your nieces for not being keen on the clean up -- I still hate that as an adult, but it's a necessary evil!! :(

Ask a Question