How can I best crisp the outside of baked bread?

Reaction score
How can I best crisp the outside of baked bread?

I enjoy baked bread that is soft (done) on the inside with a bit of crisp on the outside. The only way I know how to do this is to either put an extra glaze of butter over the top or to broil the end results for a minute or so.

img_4431.JPG

Reaction score
I'm also seeking for an answer to get this done. Someone advised me to use the classic egg yolk dissolved with water, but this obviously changes the bread consistence.

I found a recipe for a bread that is called in Mexico "bolillos" which have a crispy look. The recipe calls for salt dissolved in water and put this mix on the top of each bread before baking.

I have not tried this yet though.

Reaction score
I'm also seeking for an answer to get this done. Someone advised me to use the classic egg yolk dissolved with water, but this obviously changes the bread consistence..

You'd be suprised actually - I've never found that it changed the bread's consistancy. Because the bread will have been left to prove, it will have toughened up on the outside enough to not let the moisture get in, meaning the egg glaze usually sits on top just fine. Another tip which I read recently is to preheat the tray or baking stone that you're going to bake the bread on, so stick it in the oven while it's heating up. This makes the crust, especially on the underside of the loaf, so much crispier!

Ask a Question