How to avoid browning too much (aka burning) before the inside is done?

Reaction score
I have this problem when baking crackers and similar things. The outside, especially the edges, will be ready before the inner parts.

Is the temperature to high? Maybe I should bake at a lower temperature, but longer? I'm thinking that might cause some things to be too dry. Any suggestions?

I don't have a regular-sized oven. I used to have a huge oven that I never used (I'm single), so I replaced it with more counter space and a medium-sized convection oven (with rotisserie).

I make great cookies, but then again I like the cookies to be a bit crunchier around the edges anyway.

Reaction score
This is one of my favoite tricks. Place whatever you are baking on the middle rack in your oven. On a lower rack place another baking dish with at least 1 inch of water. The steam from the water on the lower rack will prevent the burning and will help keep the food moist, but not wet. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Well, I've never heard of that before, but it makes sense. I guess it keeps the humidity level high enough to keep the baking batter from drying out, and then burning at the thinner areas. Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Reaction score
I have a very hot oven and often have this problem too - I always just lower the temp and cook things for longer, but the tip about water is definitely one to try!

Reaction score
You might want to check out the temperature of the oven with one of those little gadgets that you hang from the rack, just to make sure that it is actually baking at the temperature that you have it set at. Sometimes, the heat may be off, and you are actually baking at a higher (or lower) temperature that you think you are. This is usually more with an older oven, but it can't hurt to check it anyway.

Reaction score
I find that turning the temperature down a bit and cooking longer will help prevent having the outside burn before the inside is cooked. Try turning the temperature down a bit!

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my oven sometimes. I always feel as if my oven is too hot. I am going to try the water in the pan on the lower rack idea. There are so many great ideas on this site.

Reaction score
Very creative and interesting! Thank you so much for sharing! I have never heard of this before but what a neat idea! I will certainly have to try this!! Thanks again!
This is one of my favoite tricks. Place whatever you are baking on the middle rack in your oven. On a lower rack place another baking dish with at least 1 inch of water. The steam from the water on the lower rack will prevent the burning and will help keep the food moist, but not wet. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I too, have trouble with edges burning before the middle cooks.

Now, I have another reason to despise my oven. The thing only came with one rack and we don't know where to buy another rack. We've looked but always come up empty-handed. I whine about that oven on a daily basis. You need to use an oven mitt to open the door, it has no internal light and no broiler. When I get a chance to buy another oven, I am going to insist on getting what I want.

Reaction score
A trick to not burn pie edges as you cook this pastry is through the use of foil. Wrap foil around the rim of the pie. This process helps even out the heat. You also can bake your pie using the same temperature as before.

23636365.jpg

Reaction score

Awesome tip! I don't brown the things I bake, not lately at least ;) But this tip will surely come in handy when I bake something like beef or chicken in the oven.

Reaction score
A trick to not burn pie edges as you cook this pastry is through the use of foil. Wrap foil around the rim of the pie. This process helps even out the heat. You also can bake your pie using the same temperature as before.

23636365.jpg

This might sound silly, but I never thought of this tip! Just amazing! I'll surely try it next time we bake a pie, because sometimes no matter what I do, the edges seem to get darker on one side more than the another.

Reaction score
I usually just turn the oven temperature down a little and bake a little longer. That usually works for me. Once when the tops of cookies were getting overly done, I just moved the top oven rack down a little and that worked.

Reaction score
You can also try covering what you are baking with a tent of foil. It works really well with breads, so it might work for crackers as well. Not sure if you would want to have it on the whole time or not as I have never made crackers myself, but it's something to try.

Ask a Question